Live angler food

Reef Keeper 18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What can I feed my black warty angler that's about the size of two peas that's live that he'll eat and will be able to find in a 34g display?? He will eat mysis and brine but then spits them out

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two peas? that's a pretty small angler. Can you clarify with a pic perhaps?

I've had anglers in the past, you can use live feeder shrimp as Ritter suggested (ghost live shrimp) to get them to feed but I think they will need something more substantial nutritionally as well, so you might try gut loading the shrimp with selcon or similar.

You can also try frozen silversides, my angler used to eat them very well and I used to break them in half and hand feed. You have to wave the fish around to get their attention but it should accept the piece as long as it isn't too big. Make sure to defrost them so they aren't cold, i think it may help with the food staying down.

wysiwyg

marine predator man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gut loaded live ghost shrimp ft krill or ft silversides you could even try feeder guppies but only use the guppies as a treat once a mnth or your angler could come down with fatty liver disease

OP
OP
R

Reef Keeper 18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys I went to my Lfs yesterday and all he could offer me for food for the angler were two clownfish fry that were being shunned by the rest of the fry because they sensed weakness in them and when I released it in front of the angler it ate it readily after stalking it for a little

chad vossen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is awesome you could get baby clownfish.

My tiny angler fish was kept in a tank with lots of macro algae and pods. He did well, but I started offering live ghost shrimp and his growth increased quickly. I then started feeding rosey red minnows from petsmart. in the end, at 2 inches long, he died. I suspect diet, but have no way to know for sure.

seamonkey84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FW fish tend to be too fatty and missing all the most important bits of nutreince for a salt water predator. I like the idea of having clown fry that are being culled as a food source, but finding that connection.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 38 33.6%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 20 17.7%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 22 19.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back