Live brine shrimp

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got a free jar of nano brine shrimp from algae barn, I only have 3 fish, one in quarantine the other in a 28 gallon cube (maroon clown and lawnmower blenny) it’s too much food for them.
My 90 gallon is in a fallow period but I wondered if I should pour the jar in the sump with the chaeto anyway ? I still have all my corals and inverts that would probably enjoy the shrimp.
I’m also curious if once the jar is opened how soon I need to use the shrimp or if they can be refrigerated or something?
I wasn’t very successful with my chaeto in my diy refugium so I’m trying again, my nitrates are sky high 38.6, phosphates 0.15 so there should be enough nutrients plus I’m dosing with chaeto grow this time.
I’d switched to tropic marin reef salt but other then how clean it mixes I’m not impressed and my alkalinity is low and will probably require dosing.
I’m not sure I want to return to reef crystals but I feel like the price doesn’t justify the tropic marin
Any suggestions?

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brine shrimp eat algae. I have seen some You Tube videos and online directions on raising newly hatched brine shrimp to adulthood.

I would not put them in the sump. Brine shrimp really do not swim very well. I think that they would get quickly sucked out of the sump and into the display tank (or filters in the baffles if you have them).

You could get a 5 gallon bucket and an inexpensive LED light with fixture over it and run the lit bucket. The light is for growing algae and you want just basic unicellular algae which the shrimp feed on. It might not be worth the effort because brine shrimp are not that high in nutrition unless they are gut loaded. That is the shrimp have eaten something nutritious so the fish get it when they eat the shrimp.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back