Live rock curing

valley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I’m in the process of curing my live ocean rock for my 60 gallon breeder. It’s the third day now and it’s pretty stinky. I’ve only done a 100% water change once when moving the rock from a tub to my display tank and then a 30% water change the next day. I’ve also been using Seachem prime just in case.

I’ve been lifting up the rocks and haven’t seen anything dead underneath. I’ve spotted some crabs, a hermit crab, many starfish, a flatworm (i think) on the glass, a pistol shrimp, and a weird translucent small dancing shrimp. I haven’t seen any today though. The only die off I’ve seen in the display tank is a long red sponge. It has turned white and isn’t stuck to the rock anymore. Do I remove this or is it fine to leave it there?

Asm481

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this live rock coming wet from the ocean? Or was it shipped damp wrapped in newspaper.
True wet delivered live rock doesn't require curing. Damp was live rock needs curing to let dead stuff rot off and build the correct bacteria. Stinky, not beach smell makes me think it is maybe damp rock. You don't use prime. Test ammonia and water changes with good saltwater mix if it gets to high. Once ammonia is gone and nitrates rise you are done with the first cycle.

OP
OP
V

valley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this live rock coming wet from the ocean? Or was it shipped damp wrapped in newspaper.
True wet delivered live rock doesn't require curing. Damp was live rock needs curing to let dead stuff rot off and build the correct bacteria. Stinky, not beach smell makes me think it is maybe damp rock. You don't use prime. Test ammonia and water changes with good saltwater mix if it gets to high. Once ammonia is gone and nitrates rise you are done with the first cycle.
Why are you "curing" ocean live rock? What were the instructions of the vendor?
Yea I had to get it shipped damp wrapped in newspaper. Its smelling like a dirty and humid beach. Ammonia hasn’t went above 1ppm so I’ve only done one 30% water change as directed by the vendor. I bought the starter rock from kpaquatics and they say to do 30% water changes for the first 3 days to prevent ammonia from going above 1ppm.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I had to get it shipped damp wrapped in newspaper. Its smelling like a dirty and humid beach. Ammonia hasn’t went above 1ppm so I’ve only done one 30% water change as directed by the vendor. I bought the starter rock from kpaquatics and they say to do 30% water changes for the first 3 days to prevent ammonia from going above 1ppm.
Did they recommend that you add it to a cycled system?

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 55 30.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 47 26.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 36 20.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back