Live Rock from Ocean Hitchhiker!

TangLvr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0461.jpeg

I ordered real ocean rock, received a shelled creature, that will tighten down onto the rock to prevent being moved. New to coral lol, any help is appreciated.

stoney7713

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
IMG_0461.jpeg

I ordered real ocean rock, received a shelled creature, that will tighten down onto the rock to prevent being moved. New to coral lol, any help is appreciated.
I can't really tell from the picture but from your description and what I can see I would say a bivalve. Most likely a turkey wing clam.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Stoney! Looks like you’re right! Won’t cause any damage to the tank will it?
Bivalves (including Turkey Wing Clams) are harmless filter feeders - so they shouldn't cause any issues in a tank. Also, a helpful tip for future ID's: pics under white light are way easier to get an ID from.

OP
OP
T

TangLvr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bivalves (including Turkey Wing Clams) are harmless filter feeders - so they shouldn't cause any issues in a tank. Also, a helpful tip for future ID's: pics under white light are way easier to get an ID from.
I did under white, but for some reason my phone looks more blue!

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did under white, but for some reason my phone looks more blue!
Yeah, you may have to turn the blue lights off and just use a flashlight (or bright natural lighting) to get a white enough shot - cameras tend to pick up a lot of blue even if the tank looks pretty white in person.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back