Live rock has small particles coming off? Hey

Reefing Reefer

If you build it, reefs will come
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s hard to describe, but my live rock has some small thin pellet looking things falling off.

live rock is caribsea life rock, and I did see these “pellets” on the rock. Recently I’ve seen almost all of it come off. I tried vacuuming them off during water changes, but they seem to not siphon out.
D4475AFB-0C2D-4902-B520-9C591993DD1B.jpeg

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have one tiny portion of rock extracted that you manually clean and check for chipping, watched closely before messing with the rest

unable to say if thats something physical vs biological as real lr doesn’t do that, not sure if the painted portions of life rock fall off/ how deep the peeling or structural breakdown occurs if any

so have one tiny accessible outside the tank rock you can experiment with and chart against the rest.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice patterning to know about then. We must’ve cranked out about 200 liferock cycles in the last few years so it will be handy to know about this type of curing as time goes by/ if posts are made

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back