Live rock, or Dead rock. Which do you prefer?

Live Rock or Dead Rock

  • Live Rock

    Votes: 9 50.0%
  • Dead Rock

    Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Combination of both

    Votes: 7 38.9%
  • Neither

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other: Describe In Thread

    Votes: 1 5.6%

  • Total voters
    18

Crabs McJones

Regional Reef Manager (AKA Revhtree's Boss)
View Badges
Joined
Jul 24, 2017
Messages
33,608
Reaction score
153,960
Location
Wisconsin
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
When setting up a new tank, or upgrading, or adding to an existing tank, do you prefer dead rock with no hitchikers? Or live rock with all the diversity that comes with it? Perhaps a combination of both? And does cost factor in for you?
Interested to hear everyones thoughts.
For me personally it was a combination of both. Cost was a factor for me as I was just starting out. Ordered 40lbs of dry rock from @reefcleaners and then picked up a couple chunks of live rock from my local fish store to seed the rest of the rock.
Even with 3 small chunks of live rock I was still able to get bristleworms, asterina starfish, and ball anemone hitchikers in the tank.
 
Last edited:
I started with dry rock in my main tank but had live rock in my pico tank. I prefer live rock over dry but I get the appeal of both!
 
I prefer dead rock because I enjoy the process of aquascaping and don’t want to spend time trapping and removing possible bad hitchhikers. I have nothing against live rock, but don’t think it’s superior, just different from dry. There are advantages and disadvantages to both.
 
Bump!
 
My first tank: Live Rock
Second tank: Dry Rock
Next tank: Going back to Live Rock
 
My first tank: Live Rock
Second tank: Dry Rock
Next tank: Going back to Live Rock
100% my sentiments. The hitchikers can be taken care of, but the lack of headaches with live rock (uglies, dinos, etc) make live rock far superior in my eyes. I'll never do dry rock again.
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 6 37.5%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 18.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new