Live Rock Question

Mkolej

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I have a question about live rock, I'm hoping someone can help me. I received, previously, live rock from a friend. To be safe, I soaked it in bleach for a few days, then de-chlorinater, and then I dried in in the sun for two weeks. I then put this rock in a new tank with no lights and two clownfish and began dosing bacteria. I turned the light on after a month and the rock has been three months (total) in the tank. My question is, is it safe to transfer this rock to a new system I am setting up, or would I be wise to use new dry rock, or re bleach this rock. Obviously, I would prefer to use this rock a it is already loaded with bacteria. Please give me any insight you have.

Thanks!

Matthew

admiralmcstabby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its a new tank you're transferring to, I don't see why it would be a problem. Seems like you thoroughly cleaned the rock and as long as it's not already loaded with algae or "bad" hitchhikers it should be ok. Of course it may increase (possibly decrease) the cycling as you may experience die off but you'll already be expecting that with a new tank.

sbreefco

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely, it would be safe. The only reason you wouldn't want to use it would be if it is infested with something you wouldn't want introduced into your new tank.

OP
OP
Mkolej

Mkolej

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely, it would be safe. The only reason you wouldn't want to use it would be if it is infested with something you wouldn't want introduced into your new tank.
Awesome, thank you!

I came across some information that had me confused, my previous understanding was that the rock would be loaded with bacteria and great to help cycle the tank. It seems there is a lot more chemistry involved with the rock than I previously thought.

You never stop learning I suppose.

Thanks to you both!

Back