Live Rock Source

MartyF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking for a good live rock source. Unfortunately I received an email from TBS this morning saying they are no longer accepting or shipping orders due to Covid. KP Aquatics also has posted on their website that they are out of live rock due to the continuous windy weather. Does anyone know of any other sources comparable to these two? Tough time for all, so sad

MPCReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking for a good live rock source. Unfortunately I received an email from TBS this morning saying they are no longer accepting or shipping orders due to Covid. KP Aquatics also has posted on their website that they are out of live rock due to the continuous windy weather. Does anyone know of any other sources comparable to these two? Tough time for all, so sad
Wow, that is surprising to hear on TBS. I did see the statement on KP's website. I have been trying to contact TBS about a recent order, so that news is concerning! Had you placed an order recently with them?

OP
OP
MartyF

MartyF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that is surprising to hear on TBS. I did see the statement on KP's website. I have been trying to contact TBS about a recent order, so that news is concerning! Had you placed an order recently with them?
No, I emailed to get details on a potential order. They are a very reputable company, if they are not able to fulfill your order I am sure you will be refunded.

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GulfLiveRock is the 3rd aquacultured rock merchant - they offer a similar product to TBS and KPA - and can either ship damp, or ship in water.

I bought 35lbs from them about a month ago, and am happy with the rock. They do seem to be a one-man-show though, and communication/etc was terrible. But they're your best shot.

MPCReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I emailed to get details on a potential order. They are a very reputable company, if they are not able to fulfill your order I am sure you will be refunded.
Fortunately, they do not charge your credit card until they confirm you still want the order and are preparing to ship. Agree they seem like a reputable company but I have not been able to contact them via multiple phone messages and emails this week so it sounds as if there are definitely some issues they are dealing with. Wish them the best in getting through whatever difficulties they are having.

OP
OP
MartyF

MartyF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GulfLiveRock is the 3rd aquacultured rock merchant - they offer a similar product to TBS and KPA - and can either ship damp, or ship in water.

I bought 35lbs from them about a month ago, and am happy with the rock. They do seem to be a one-man-show though, and communication/etc was terrible. But they're your best shot.
How long did it take to deliver once ordered? How much notice did they give on delivery arrival?

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long did it take to deliver once ordered? How much notice did they give on delivery arrival?
I shipped damp. Ordered on a Wednesday night, got a shipping notice on Monday afternoon, and rock was set to be delivered Wednesday (they only ship damp mon-wed for arrival wed-fri). They ship pretty much every day if you ship wet via air freight.

Basically just got a shipping notice email.

The problem I had is that FedEx destroyed the box Wednesday morning, and GLR didn't respond to any of my communication until I filed a paypal claim the next week. They finally shipped out a new box a couple weeks later. It got here fine, and rock was good

I might have had better luck calling them rather than emailing, but I don't have time to chase people around on the phone. And it's not 1995 and I expect companies that list support emails on their website and invoices to monitor those email.

U

User1

View Badges
Did you try and call TBS or shoot them a PM here?

C19 is just one issue. The bigger issue is the backlog of orders that they already have due to bad weather. It has been a rough few months such that they can't go out and collect. I'll say this and maybe you are not in this position but if you can, wait. If you already set a budget or pool of money for live rock then wait for either TBS or KP.

You will regret it otherwise. We all have varying opinions on how long dry rock takes to fully mature and I'll say based on my current tank it is about 2 1/2 years. I'm coming from 170 lbs of dry pukani and I can still lift a piece, turn it 180 degrees, and it looks like I just put it in the tank...

In any case - call both and see what a potential delay may be.

MPCReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you try and call TBS or shoot them a PM here?

C19 is just one issue. The bigger issue is the backlog of orders that they already have due to bad weather. It has been a rough few months such that they can't go out and collect. I'll say this and maybe you are not in this position but if you can, wait. If you already set a budget or pool of money for live rock then wait for either TBS or KP.

You will regret it otherwise. We all have varying opinions on how long dry rock takes to fully mature and I'll say based on my current tank it is about 2 1/2 years. I'm coming from 170 lbs of dry pukani and I can still lift a piece, turn it 180 degrees, and it looks like I just put it in the tank...

In any case - call both and see what a potential delay may be.
The problem I'm having I cannot contact TBS to find out that info.

Jedi Knghit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered 15 lbs of rock shipped in water from KP Aquatics on Saturday, Nov 7th and mine was delayed due to the hurricane. It was delivered on Nov 18th. The delay may not be as bad as you expect.

U

User1

View Badges
@liverock Richard - any chance you can answer any questions about future deliveries?

I know the weather has been really crappy for you and you have a backlog. Just wondering if there is projections for new orders. Thanks a million and hope all is well!

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently they are not shipping due to some circumstances, lets just hope them good fortunes and that they are able to start shipping again in the not to distant future. :)

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you try LiveRockNReef? I got a lot more life on their rock than KP although KP rock was a nicer shape. (50:50 mix was ideal)

sherb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in a bit of a lurch on this one. I'm new to reef keeping and started planning my tank back in October. I researched several LR suppliers but TBS has a good rep on several reef forums, and Richard's no-nonsense approach and advice appeals to me. I placed an order last week fully expecting a long wait - I know weather and airline schedules have played havoc with his business. Now, though, I'm not sure if TBS is on temporary pause, or shut down permanently. I emailed Richard this morning but got what appears to be an automated response with the same message posted elsewhere on this and other sites.

My wife told me to just chill and wait a day or so to see if there are further developments. That's probably good advice.

U

User1

View Badges
I'm in a bit of a lurch on this one. I'm new to reef keeping and started planning my tank back in October. I researched several LR suppliers but TBS has a good rep on several reef forums, and Richard's no-nonsense approach and advice appeals to me. I placed an order last week fully expecting a long wait - I know weather and airline schedules have played havoc with his business. Now, though, I'm not sure if TBS is on temporary pause, or shut down permanently. I emailed Richard this morning but got what appears to be an automated response with the same message posted elsewhere on this and other sites.

My wife told me to just chill and wait a day or so to see if there are further developments. That's probably good advice.

I will say that Richard has had to pause work before and is always up front about it. If you can wait or talk via email or forums you will get a good understanding. The weather is affecting all of them though bit it TBS or KP.

Also on your note about no-nonsense. It really is true. I've exchanged emails with him not even using his product before about scuba diving and mens health of all things. He really is a good person.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the lack of flights is really hurting both KP and TBS....and as been said the weather has played a big part too.

I was thinking of ordering some for the new build to seed the real reef rock guess we will have to wait and see.
wish them the best of health and hopefully they can continue here soon

U

User1

View Badges
One side effect of the weather and also C19 is this. The live rock will be aging each day like a fine bottle of wine. You know the ones that you buy two of and open one to drink and mark the second bottle to drink in five years :) What was already a good wine is suddenly 10x better due to the age (assuming it is a good wine and stored correctly).

The live rock situation that both TBS and KP have right now is also similar as with bad weather creatures need new homes to ride the storm out. The rocks and how they are stored support this life. The rock people will be getting is going to be crazy good.

Honestly. Anyone who gets the rocks next year is going to have probably the best rock every. Seriously. The potential is huge.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back