Live rock VS ceramic filter media

  • Thread starter Thread starter maroun.c
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

maroun.c

Moderator
View Badges
Joined
Feb 13, 2011
Messages
4,688
Reaction score
7,320
Location
Lebanon
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planding two areas in my sump for a fast flow area and another slow flow criptic zone. Wondering between live rocks and ceramic filter tiles or balls ....
Whats ur experience with those and any preference ?
Realize ceramics will leach a bit of aluminum and that's fine as I do water changes regularly.
 
I've never used bio balls or ceramics, but personally I like the option of always having a few rocks available in my sump for whatever might come up, like mounting corals, adding to other new tanks, etc...
 
The bottom of my refugium is live rocks, bio balls and miracle mud.

Live rock would be my first choice, but even sand or crushed coral would provide a place for bacteria to thrive. Use any combination you like.

IMG_2005.jpeg
 
That ceramic medis leaches more aluminum then you think. My aluminum got really high on my icp then removed it and went away on subsequent icps. I only use them when i know i need to seed a tank like a quarintine or new tank. For oermanant i would go with rock.
 
That ceramic medis leaches more aluminum then you think. My aluminum got really high on my icp then removed it and went away on subsequent icps. I only use them when i know i need to seed a tank like a quarintine or new tank. For oermanant i would go with rock.
My aluminum has always been high on ICPs. I never put 2 and 2 together. I bet it is from the ceramic media in my sump.
 
How about soaking the ceramics in RODI for a month abd changing water every few days. Rodi would cause the ceramic to leach whatever is in it faster. Even if a bit co tinues to leach for some time water changes would be enough to deal with it and eventually leaching will stop. Aluminum has not been reported to cause damage from heat I read still agree woth the preference not to have it.
 
How about soaking the ceramics in RODI for a month abd changing water every few days. Rodi would cause the ceramic to leach whatever is in it faster. Even if a bit co tinues to leach for some time water changes would be enough to deal with it and eventually leaching will stop. Aluminum has not been reported to cause damage from heat I read still agree woth the preference not to have it.
It will leech it forever.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 29.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 5 18.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new