live sand question needed answered

gypsyvybz14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I am new to this hobby and I was going to start a salt water coral tank and eventually get fish. But for starters I needed to just get the aquarium set up and cycled before I start. I would like some questions answered and I know this is the right site for that. The first question I have is about my live sand.

I bought Original Grade Ocean Direct Live Reef Sand
I bought it a little too soon. But When I kept it stored somehow a hole was made at the back of the bag. This sand is normally wet and h moisture in the bag. When I went to move it I noticed the bag was dried out.

Is this ok to still use? I was going to put in my aquarium to start cycling and get it perfect flow and aqua-scape before adding my coral. Would this effect my benefits of the live sand? would anything come back to life>? would it matter if I am going to have live rock anyway.?

Thanks for the feed back

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I am new to this hobby and I was going to start a salt water coral tank and eventually get fish. But for starters I needed to just get the aquarium set up and cycled before I start. I would like some questions answered and I know this is the right site for that. The first question I have is about my live sand.

I bought Original Grade Ocean Direct Live Reef Sand
I bought it a little too soon. But When I kept it stored somehow a hole was made at the back of the bag. This sand is normally wet and h moisture in the bag. When I went to move it I noticed the bag was dried out.

Is this ok to still use? I was going to put in my aquarium to start cycling and get it perfect flow and aqua-scape before adding my coral. Would this effect my benefits of the live sand? would anything come back to life>? would it matter if I am going to have live rock anyway.?

Thanks for the feed back
The bacteria in the live sand probably died if it dried out bit live rock is much more important. They to get live ocean collected rock if possible.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, its perfectly fine to use. Bagged live sand is some slick marketing.

If there was anything alive in that sand, what do you think happened once they sealed the bag up?

Those bags get loaded on a hot truck and shipped to an LFS where it sits for a long time. Anything that was alive in that sand is long gone by the time you get it home. heat and a lack of oxygen will kill most of the bacteria in the sand.

Unless it was bagged from the ocean and shipped pretty quickly, its just wet dry sand.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything died, I wouldn't want that in my tank to start it off.
I'm glad I haven't used that particular brand then...other brands actually don't contain toxins (or at least the brands I've used) or do you just mean all the bacteria died?

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad I haven't used that particular brand then...other brands actually don't contain toxins (or at least the brands I've used) or do you just mean all the bacteria died?
Yes whatever that was in the bag is dead, it all dried out. Bacteria and any life. Why not rinse it all clean? Even the tiniest particles of sand should be washed away. That's only going to trap detritus and Cloud the water on start up.

Back