Sand as Filter Media?

pacificnewt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I had a random question that I’m sure has come up before but I couldn’t find it for my life of me! So I figured I would reignite the conversation.

With all the talk of different biological filter medias, I’ve been considering how I can add a lot of bio filter media without breaking the bank. I just set up my first 40 gallon with a 20 gallon sump so now I have so much more room for media than I did in my previous tank. There’s the MarinePure stuff which I like but is super pricey. There’s those ceramic rings from the big box stores or Amazon too. There’s always just live rock rubble too. However, I want a media that I could suspend off the floor of my sump (on an egg crate platform) and be in a media bag for easy removal. I had some shower thoughts this evening and wondered if filling a media bag with very course grade sand would work well as a bio filter media? Yes I have a sand bed in my main display, but it’s very thin and I am planning on keeping a softie tank that I will feed heavily. I want all the bio media I can get. I have some mesh produce bags that are SUPER fine mesh that I could easily fill with 5-10 lbs of very course aragonite sand.

This seems like a super affordable option that would satisfy my desires. But what am I missing? I’ve never seen this before and I’m sure there are probably better budget options out there. If this is a bad idea, I’d love ideas for other affordable options to create more space for biome to grow in my sump. My main tank has a minimalist aquascape with less rock than average with a thin sand bed so I am trying to supplement a bit by adding more space for biome in the sump.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, maybe. I have seen tanks where the sand in deep beds would melt together and become a rock, porous, still but glued together by low pH (?) and then cemented together into a block that formed in the bottom of the tank. Had to break it up to remove it, but otherwise I don't think it has to happen. If you want to suspend gravel in a bag over a plenum that has been shown to work especially well if you have good flow, often reverse flow to keep the gravel oxygenated.
@Paul B has a thread on here about a reverse flow undergravel filter that might be informative as well an entertaining. He's a world famous published author with a Supermodel wife and he's fairly accessible when he's around cuase he likes to talk but probably not as much as me?
He also has a thread about putting bottles in your tank, but that is more advanced project and I think it doesn't come up until his 4th best seller? I'm getting fuzzy on it all as I put a bottle in me before i started typi

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just moved my gravel from my display to my sump because it's been a few years and I wanna change things up without impacting the tank too much. I figured it's going to be doing the same stuff down there as just a bit of a buffer. I'll probably be taking it out over time but I also have a bunch of plastic and ceramic media, live rock and stuff in the sump. After all this time I think it's not really a question of one thing that's a cure-all as biological filtration. I think sand as media would absolutely work but I would have other things like ceramic media and bio-balls, live rock, really diversify it up. In my opinion you want the biggest variety of life capable of biological filtration. Then you're well on your way to ULR.

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Closed loop reverse flow undergravel. Works like a charm. We have this 300 sitting around in a lobby. Proof of concept reef is what it’s going to be. No sump. Just OF’s and reverse flow undergravel. Let’s see how it goes.
70897485468__3CD2852A-2F1C-4B80-A8BE-530E808D5D97.jpeg

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back