Canister filter instead of manifold?

  • Thread starter Thread starter EL_Perron
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

EL_Perron

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 12, 2007
Messages
162
Reaction score
48
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have never used a canister filters in the past. However, I have a stock tank that I ended up running one and it's wildly convenient.

Are there any strong advantage to go with the canister filter over a manifold for things like carbon and other media? It would be nice to have one less pump in the sump as well.
 
Both are driven by a pump (or possibly pumps) and with canister filters the pumps circulation can be impacted by the flow through the media inside the canister. On a manifold, the back pressure inside any filter module will cause the same kinds of flow restrictions, so they do kind of function the same. The ease of cleaning the canister, or difficulty, and required frequency of doing maintenance are factors that make using any of these filtration options "better" or "Worse", ime. IF you find it superior, awesome! Happiness makes the chores light? 😇
 
I use Cannister Filters on 2 of my 40 Gallon Tanks and they work well with one exception. If you lose power or unplug them and they are off for say 24 hours the filter will die. I had this happen and when I restarted could tell right away something was wrong because of the strong sulfur smell. I cleaned the filter and did a water change so everything was ok but was worried that it could cause parameter problems. I've been meaning to Tag Randy about this issue to get his take on the risk if this happens.
@Randy Holmes-Farley
 
I use Cannister Filters on 2 of my 40 Gallon Tanks and they work well with one exception. If you lose power or unplug them and they are off for say 24 hours the filter will die. I had this happen and when I restarted could tell right away something was wrong because of the strong sulfur smell. I cleaned the filter and did a water change so everything was ok but was worried that it could cause parameter problems. I've been meaning to Tag Randy about this issue to get his take on the risk if this happens.
@Randy Holmes-Farley
Interesting....i never thought about that. I could just use it to run bags of media and no filter.
 
I actually prefer a manifold on a reef tank. It's one less piece of equipment to maintain, no extra power cord and you're already making use of your return pump.
 
I actually prefer a manifold on a reef tank. It's one less piece of equipment to maintain, no extra power cord and you're already making use of your return pump.
I'd be running a separate pump for it...in case I need to pull it off line, I still have the sump online.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 13 52.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 12 48.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new