RO system bacteria

wrbtanis

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 20, 2024
Messages
53
Reaction score
44
Location
Washington
What state or country do you live in
Washington
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everybody, I'm hoping you guys can tell me if this is something I need to worry about or just a side effect of my local water supply. Ever since moving I have noticed a slime bacteria build up in my RO storage bins. I've also noticed incredibly High di consumption so I have moved to running my water through the pre filters and the RO system on one day and then degassing with an air pump until the pH comes up before I send it through the di canisters. But I've noticed both tanks will build up a slime fairly quickly. I only agitate the pre canister been the second one sits still. My input TDS varies from about 270 to 300 and will typically exit the RO membrane at around 4. I run a total of six pre-filters before the RO membrane a 20 micron sediment followed by a 10 Micron sediment followed by a 5 Micron carbon that flows into a 1 micron sediment before going into my brs 1 micron carbon blocks. It then goes to a booster pump before the membrane. It's hard for it to show up on camera but it's that white cloudy stuff that you can see in the buckets. Is this something I need to be concerned about if so how do I prevent it cuz I don't know what else I can do to filter this water.
I wash the tanks fairly regularly with bleach and let them sit for some time before using them again. The picture with the water in the brute has only had water in it for a week and it already has enough slime to be kinda cloudy.



IMG20260912164058.jpg

IMG20260912163947.jpg

IMG20260912164014.jpg
 
Ok, thank you. I'm just paranoid.
 
It sure makes a pretty pattern!😀
 
Last edited:
Can sanitize the RO/DI system if it hasn't been done in over a year. I use my RO for drinking water and the ice maker so all the filters and ro membranes get removed once a year and I put a couple caps of bleach in the first housing and run water into the system until water starts to come out then shut it off and let it sit for 10-30 minutes, then flush it out and reinstall filters/membranes. The clear housings can promote growth in the system.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 11 25.0%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 16 36.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 5 11.4%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 6.8%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 11.4%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new