Living room display tank build

AquaHaven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everybody!

This will be my ongoing project to create a display tank in my living room and make it a mixed coral with assortment of fish aquarium. This thread will serve to show the my progress.

A little bit of my background. I was on the freshwater side for years and was toying with an idea of starting a saltwater tank. Done few months of research and went in. I'm still very new to this, having only started about 3 months ago.

My first "reef" tak was a Fluval Flex 13 gallon tank. It quickly dawned on me that this will not be enough. Right after that I went for a 20 gallon tank and started the cycle using a Red Seas Reef Mature Pro kit. This went really good and looked like that:

IMG_0665.JPEG

I used couple of pieces of live rock I got from a friend and after just over 3 weeks, the tank was cycled. Live rock introduced a whole boat loads of issues though. There were fire worms, some algae, and it ended on bryopsis.

Then a disaster hit and the back of the tank started cracking. In panick, I got a second hand, 40 gallon Juwel aquarium in a hurry (that's a second size upgrade now) and transferred everything, apart from live rock. I also broke apart that huge rock to create something with more visual appeal to me, and more hiding spots. Now, it looked like that:

IMG_0144.JPEG

After I took that picture, I also transferred my cannister filter, a Fluval FX4. And then I noticed I made a fatal flaw, while I was stressing out to get the tank as quickly as possible. I did not check if everything was ok with it. Sure, it did not leak, but the front glass was so incredibly scratched I just couldn't let it go. Forward to about a week ago, when I decided that enough is enough, I will go and buy a new tank from the store and be done with it. And so I came back home with a 55 gallon tank (3rd and lust size upgrade, I promise! :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing::rolling-on-the-floor-laughing::rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:). Transferred everything again and now I am a bit more satisfied. I also added an extra internal filter to offset the temporary lack of a wavemaker.

IMG-0172.jpg

I since also connected the FX4. Now that we cought up, here's what's next. Lights, more sand and more rock are on their way. So is a wavemaker. It seems like the ugly stage have firmly set in. Soon I'll be picking up a pair of clowns and some snails. Once everything is in place I will start with corals, but something easy to start with. Namely, I'm planning to get a GSP and attatch it to the back wall and let it just grow and cover the entire back panel of the tank.

So that's it so far, and I will update this as I go. What do you think? Do you have any tips? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

BanZI29

Still just a reefer noob!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to our little piece of the reef. Wow that was quite the ride, BUT you did get a bigger tank out of it, so all seems well. looking forward to your tank build.

Welcome!!!
f127426c616cd57d67c79dfda815c596.gif

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 14 87.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

• I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back