Lobo? Oulo? Other thoughts?

  • Thread starter Thread starter colejr
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

colejr

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 14, 2020
Messages
80
Reaction score
73
Location
Norwood
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone help me positively ID this LPS coral? I've had it for over a year and it has grown a third head/lobe. Tons of small sweepers at night and as a feeding response.
Many thanks. By the way, I bought this at a Petco labeled as a hammer colony, lol.
Coral 2.jpg
Coral 1.jpg
 
I wish you had a more top down photo.

I think it could be oulophyilla, but I’ve never seen mine have tentacles like that. Mine has really chubby tentacles. Like in this post
https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/oulophyllia-coral-moon-moonstone-coral.62/
Yours could also be a type of favia. Like a coelastrea. Reminds me the fleshy favias like this sale from unique corals or tidal gardens

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/h...ay-sept-2nd-9am-6pm-pst.1070318/post-12809046

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/tidal-gardens-wysiwyg-update.1076240/post-12922412
 
I wish you had a more top down photo.

I think it could be oulophyilla, but I’ve never seen mine have tentacles like that. Mine has really chubby tentacles. Like in this post
https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/oulophyllia-coral-moon-moonstone-coral.62/
Yours could also be a type of favia. Like a coelastrea. Reminds me the fleshy favias like this sale from unique corals or tidal gardens

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/h...ay-sept-2nd-9am-6pm-pst.1070318/post-12809046

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/tidal-gardens-wysiwyg-update.1076240/post-12922412
not Coelastrea or Favia/Dipsastraea; notice the submeandroid growth form; Coelastrea and Dipsastraea have monostomatous corallites
Compare:
Coelastrea cf palauensis, sensu Veron; Queensland | Credit: Rachelle Brown
1743733737313.png
 
If it helps, the polyps/lobes are very fleshy. In the year plus that I've had this I have never seen any hint of the skeleton.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 4 7.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 24.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 14 24.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 15.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 14.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new