Lobophyllia

JonnyKane

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So....I've just got myself a lobo. I was in my local marine shop and saw this beautiful lobophyllia and the price was too good to be missed. I asked about placement and would it be okay in my nano tank. Since putting it in though my finger coral and toadstool seem grumpy and haven't opened up. Could this be related or is it just coincidence. I've heard about filament attacks but don't think it is that. Any ideas?

IMG-20230618-WA0004.jpeg IMG-20230618-WA0005.jpeg

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The leathers are just mad because you were in the tank and added something unknown. They should be fine. Nice Lobo!

OP
OP
J

JonnyKane

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The leathers are just mad because you were in the tank and added something unknown. They should be fine.
Thank you! That's good to know. I was panicking as I've heard about filament attacks and wondered if that's what had happened. I was told you can generally see when 1 has happened, but sometimes they can go undetected and once in the water column they can destroy a tank. Especially a nano.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be more worried about the toxins from the leathers, but they are a good distance from each other. Some lobos are really tough and others are not so tough. I have mixed the two without issues in the past. Just make sure to keep up on water changes.
Tank looks good!

OP
OP
J

JonnyKane

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be more worried about the toxins from the leathers, but they are a good distance from each other. Some lobos are really tough and others are not so tough. I have mixed the two without issues in the past. Just make sure to keep up on water changes.
Tank looks good!
Again, thank you! I'm pretty new to all this. I do a 10% change every week without fail. I have heard about leathers and shedding and toxins and been told to keep an eye on them. Is it right that you can tell when they release a slime like substance?

Thanks again!

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can usually tell when they are shedding, but they can still do it when you are not aware. Water changes are great for smaller tanks to take care of this issue.
If you do not run carbon, you may need to add it when the leathers grow up a bit. Helps keep the water clear of toxins better. I am not saying, "hurry, go get carbon", just something to keep in mind as the tank matures.

OP
OP
J

JonnyKane

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can usually tell when they are shedding, but they can still do it when you are not aware. Water changes are great for smaller tanks to take care of this issue.
If you do not run carbon, you may need to add it when the leathers grow up a bit. Helps keep the water clear of toxins better. I am not saying, "hurry, go get carbon", just something to keep in mind as the tank matures.
Carbon is 1 of the things I am running. I have my filtration pretty much to a minimum. Filter sock, floss, frag rock and then carbon. All my levels seem good and I do test regularly as I know when branching out into stoney's then they need a more stable environment.

Back