Location of DOS

Timrpn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

So my tank is in a corner and not much room under it for equipment, as my sump is under there and takes up 99% of the real-estate in the cabinet and not much playable room above it or I would not be able to access my skimmer. My question is about my Doser. If I put my Doser in my basement, so below the aquarium, would it be able to pump up about 6-8 feet or does it have to be above the source where it is dosing to? Does this make sense?

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can, but you risk creating a siphon. If you are dosing from containers in the basement, then it is less than an issue and the lines going to your sump or tank do not sit below the water line (which they shouldn't), then it isn't an issue.

Auto water change would become more worrisome as you do have one line into the tank and if that line breaks, a siphon would start.

OP
OP
Timrpn

Timrpn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Tubing would not be touching any water in the sump. Would just be run up from the basement and into the sump, probably about 5 inches above the water level.

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d not be comfortable having the DOS so much below the tank. Can you mount it on the wall? The DOS is kind nice looking in my mind.

OP
OP
Timrpn

Timrpn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d not be comfortable having the DOS so much below the tank. Can you mount it on the wall? The DOS is kind nice looking in my mind.
I could I guess mount it to the wall, but really no space to put the 3 containers. I may have to find smaller containers to put the Alk, Ca, and Mg in, instead of the 5L jugs they come in.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could I guess mount it to the wall, but really no space to put the 3 containers. I may have to find smaller containers to put the Alk, Ca, and Mg in, instead of the 5L jugs they come in.

Just have the dose mounted high and still have the containers down stairs.

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't have any qualms about running it from the basement if none of the tubing is below the water line.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back