locline parts / pieces - what's needed

reef tank 2.0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an overflow that has a 1" return line that supplies the water. That's what I am starting with.
At the top of that supply line is a 1" tee. From that 1" tee, in both directions, I am thinking I need a 1" to 3/4" reducer.
The hole in the overflow where the lock line passes through is 7/8" wide. I assume, that this will take a 3/4" locline connector, as you see here: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/loc-line-male-npt-connector.html

So from that 1" to 3/4 reducer, this is where the locline connector would screw into, right?

Here is a picture of my overflow locline area

Driceftw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That should work. Along with the 3/4" npt fittings you would need 3/4" slip x thread fittings. The npt would connect from the outside of the overflow and thread into the thread x slip fittings on the inside of the overflow box. You might be able to find a 1" slip x 3/4" thread fitting to help reduce the amount of fittings after the T.

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an overflow that has a 1" return line that supplies the water. That's what I am starting with.
At the top of that supply line is a 1" tee. From that 1" tee, in both directions, I am thinking I need a 1" to 3/4" reducer.
The hole in the overflow where the lock line passes through is 7/8" wide. I assume, that this will take a 3/4" locline connector, as you see here: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/loc-line-male-npt-connector.html

So from that 1" to 3/4 reducer, this is where the locline connector would screw into, right?

Here is a picture of my overflow locline area

If that hole is 7/8in (0.875in), then it would not fit 3/4in Loc-Line since it has an OD of 1.09in. However, you may be able to use 1/2in loc-line if you need to pass the hose through that hole, but you may need to modify the hole just slightly.

Here are the maximum OD dimensions of the 3 sizes of the most common modular hoses you'll find out there, This includes 3/4in and 1/2in Loc-Line brand hose and the 1in Jumbo modular hose line we carry

1644176098535.png

Since that looks like acrylic, you may be able to fairly easily drill it slightly larger with a graduated drill bit such as this, to accommodate the 3/4in Loc-Line

1644171945735.png

Last edited:

Driceftw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If there is a bulkhead that I could secure to the overflow wall, I could then screw the lockline into that..ya?
Antonio at VCA would be the one to ask about what you need to get rolling. Most boxes like that have some type of slip fitting that goes through those holes to incorporate locline. Best bet aside from having something custom printed would be to get a definite measurement of the ID of that hole and compare it to the OD of your available options.

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there is a bulkhead that I could secure to the overflow wall, I could then screw the lockline into that..ya?
I haven't senone of that size. if there was, it would likely make the hole even smaller.

how thick is the wall on that over flow? I may able to come with a solution but the wall thickness will have some bearing on what can be done without mods

OP
OP
reef tank 2.0

reef tank 2.0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was seriously thinking it would be screw this with this and done. Wanna keep this as simple as possible. I assumed the hole I have was standard. Apparently not. So if that means i'd be better off notching out the hole (upward) to where locline would rest in the oblong hole, then so be it. I am not set on using this hole as is. I have an over flow cover so it wouldn't be seen anyways.

does that change things? Whether it's 1/2" or 3/4", doesn't matter to me. IU only assumed a 7/8" hole would hold a 3/4" locline (obviously this isn't the case)

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was seriously thinking it would be screw this with this and done. Wanna keep this as simple as possible. I assumed the hole I have was standard. Apparently not. So if that means i'd be better off notching out the hole (upward) to where locline would rest in the oblong hole, then so be it. I am not set on using this hole as is. I have an over flow cover so it wouldn't be seen anyways.

does that change things? Whether it's 1/2" or 3/4", doesn't matter to me. IU only assumed a 7/8" hole would hold a 3/4" locline (obviously this isn't the case)
I think either way, if you want to use 3/4in loc-Line, you're going to have to enlarge the hole.

3/4in Loc-Line has a minimum OD of about 0.9in on the skinny part
1/2in Loc-Line on the other hand has a minimum OD of about 0.675in

You might be able to thread the 1/2in NPT fitting through the existing hole and into ta 1/2in bushing on the other side. That would be the cleanest install but it would be 1/2in loc-line. Depending on the size of the display tank, that might not be a big deal in that 1/2in return lines coming off a 1in supply line might actually be ideal.

Give me a moment, and I'll get you some measurements for the various NPT fittings

OP
OP
reef tank 2.0

reef tank 2.0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm certainly not against 1/2", I was only thinking of the big reduction in flow from 1" to 1/2". if it really isn't that a deal, I can do 1/2"

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm certainly not against 1/2", I was only thinking of the big reduction in flow from 1" to 1/2". if it really isn't that a deal, I can do 1/2"
It would depend on what you are planning and how big the tank is.

For instance , if its say, a 40 to 60 gallon tank with dual 1/2in Inlets being supplied by a 1in return pipe, and a return pump capable of supplying around 800 to 1000 GPH, then reducing down to the dual 1/2in at the end of the supply pipe, would not be that big of a loss. In fact, adding 1/2in Random flow Generators® to the ends in this scenario would be ideal, since you wold get the most out of those Nozzles

On the other hand, if the tank was say a 90 gallon tank or larger, then I would personally would modify those holes to support at least a the 3//4in NPT fitting. Then supply them with a return pump capable of at least 1200 to 1500 GPH or more... And then of course add a couple of 3/4in Random Flow Generators :)

OP
OP
reef tank 2.0

reef tank 2.0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, to answer that, I Have an 80g DT (cube), I'm in between your two examples :)
I was looking at those random flow generators. Not sure how important those would be for me. I have two maxspect 250 gyres that I will have in this tank. Would like to use two, but based off the size of my tank, one might be enough. we'll see. I read some of the reviews on those generators and it seems like a lot of people say you have to glue them in place, or there are other quality issues with them. So I dismissed the thought of them.

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, to answer that, I Have an 80g DT (cube), I'm in between your two examples :)
I was looking at those random flow generators. Not sure how important those would be for me. I have two maxspect 250 gyres that I will have in this tank. Would like to use two, but based off the size of my tank, one might be enough. we'll see. I read some of the reviews on those generators and it seems like a lot of people say you have to glue them in place, or there are other quality issues with them. So I dismissed the thought of them.
They would do well in your Cube - any additional flow variation you can create is a good thing. When it comes to sizing them, it's more important to size them to the amount of flow you can provide as opposed to the size of the tank. I think 1/2in would still do well in your case.

As for fitment - they are designed to attach directly to genuine 1/2in Loc-Line brand modular hose. Every single RFG t hat leaves are factory will have been test fit at least 2 time (sometimes more) as it moves through our QC process before being packaged.

Many aquarium that come from over seas factories will not have genuine Loc-Line. Some hoobists just don't know that there is a difference between say a SnapLoc brand hose, and a Loc-Line brand hose, or any of the other 5 to 8 version of modular hose that are out there. We actually make quite a few different modular hose adapters for those cases that solve those types fitment issues.

As far as quality issues - we stand behind every product we manufacture, and act as the single point of contact to resolve any issues (regardless of where you purchased out product). If you have ever have an issue - just reach out to us an we'll be more than happy to help get it resolved.

Hopefully that's enough for you at least consider a Random Flow Genator in your tank - I think they would be a great addition.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 63 34.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 26.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back