Logistics: acclimating new frags to LEDs

LivinTheSwreefLife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried to find good info on this, but I mostly just find info on how to acclimate a whole tank to LEDs. I want to know how I can best acclimate new frags that are coming into my established system, without potentially ticking off the corals that are already there and used to a certain intensity of light by turning down the intensity and ramping back up (that's actually part of the question though... WOULD it tick them off? My lights are kind of low to begin with...)

The new frags are coming from a system running T5's. I have an Ocean Revive arctic t247, currently running at 45% Blue and 30% full spectrum, so not very intense

Some thoughts: I could drop the full spectrum down to 20% and work back up, but will that annoy the corals that I already have? I could keep things where they are and place the new corals where I intend to leave them permantly and see what happens? I could start the new corals on the bottom of the tank and raise them up, but they won't be on frag plugs and I have a lot of flow in my tank so how will that work in terms of keeping them from blowing around?

I appreciate any suggestions or thoughts on this.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A photon is photon is a photon.

Acclimation is the same regardless of the source.

For ease start low and go up.

Some folks btw. Use Tupperware in the bottom of the tank.

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with salty. I have moved sps corals up too fast and have seen them bleach quickly. I've learned to put them low on the sand bed or on my frag rack near the bottom of the tank. With the frag rack, I can gradually move the frags up over the course of a few weeks.

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with salty. I have moved sps corals up too fast and have seen them bleach quickly. I've learned to put them low on the sand bed or on my frag rack near the bottom of the tank. With the frag rack, I can gradually move the frags up over the course of a few weeks.
Perfect advice right here!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 34.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 23.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back