Long drain line flow rate

Reef Altitude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my 200 gallon peninsula the drains are around 5 ft of 1 inch tubing. It's a bean animal. This is to allow my pumps to have as little head loss as possible.

I unscientificly filled a bucket to measure return flow, each pump is around 750 gph. There are two, ~1500 total return flow.

Right now my drain valve is wide open and the durso stand pipe is barely able to deal with the flow. If I plug it's vent and it goes full siphon it all easily handles the flow.

I have the durso going into the sump under the water line and the other drains into a reefmat 1200. The corrugated tube is cut pretty close to as short as possible.

All returns are 3/4" and drains are 1". There are only two 90 elbows on each drain line. The durso is also 1”. There is no stand pipe in the main drain.

What do I need to do to get more flow in the drains? Increase the line size for less back pressure? Increase the durso because it's such a restriction?

Any suggestions on how you dealt with this kind of situation?

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you have a 1" bean animal, full siphon line is wide open at the valve, and the standpipe won't handle the rest of the flow, is that correct?

IF you have the ability to upsize the bulkhead, you could move the full siphon up to 1.25" pipe which carries a significant amount more water.

OP
OP
Reef Altitude

Reef Altitude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some pictures:

1672240825392.png

1672240913136.png

OP
OP
Reef Altitude

Reef Altitude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you have a 1" bean animal, full siphon line is wide open at the valve, and the standpipe won't handle the rest of the flow, is that correct?

IF you have the ability to upsize the bulkhead, you could move the full siphon up to 1.25" pipe which carries a significant amount more water.
The bulkheads are pretty fixed... no way i am drilling a bigger hole in the all glass overflow. :)

The drain does handle the flow. It actually does it easily if i remove the durso portion. I have a feeling it is the restriction. I really dont know how to design it correctly. The vent is a 3/16" hole in one of the elbows.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not understanding
You say you have bean animal and you say you have durso. This is a contradiction. Is the durso on secondary? How many drain pipes do you have?

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bean animal has a durso stand pipe for one of the three drains.
A durso has air intake. The full siphon (the drain with valve) needs to be fully submerged. The secondary needs to have just a bit of water going down ( with air), you could use durso here. The emergency needs to be highest and dry. A one inch bean animal can easily handle 1500 gph

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a known fact that Durso's do NOT handle good flow.
Remove the elbow & run as a Bean Animal drain.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not understanding
You say you have bean animal and you say you have durso. This is a contradiction. Is the durso on secondary? How many drain pipes do you have?
This is not a contradiction. Bean animal is simply the combination of a full-sython line, durso stand pipe, and emergency overflow. All three are present.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 90 degree elbows on the top are called the candy canes. The entire secondary drain with an air vent and no valve is called the Durso just so we are clear.

There should not be any significant restriction due to a properly sized candy cane.

OP
OP
Reef Altitude

Reef Altitude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A durso has air intake. The full siphon (the drain with valve) needs to be fully submerged. The secondary needs to have just a bit of water going down ( with air), you could use durso here. The emergency needs to be highest and dry. A one inch bean animal can easily handle 1500 gph
As long as we all agree the 1500 is no problem for 1" pipe in a bean animal, it's my execution of the secondary drain then. This makes sense to me.

OP
OP
Reef Altitude

Reef Altitude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 90 degree elbows on the top are called the candy canes. The entire secondary drain with an air vent and no valve is called the Durso just so we are clear.

There should not be any significant restriction due to a properly sized candy cane.
So should I just get 1.25" elbows and a reducer?

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a refresher, the Durso part of the Bean Animal handles whatever the full siphon can't?

What does Durso can barely handle mean in this set up? Your water level rises to the emergency 3rd drain?

OP
OP
Reef Altitude

Reef Altitude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a refresher, the Durso part of the Bean Animal handles whatever the full siphon can't?

What does Durso can barely handle mean in this set up? Your water level rises to the emergency 3rd drain?
It's about 1/32 below the e drain. And the main valve is wide open. It just barely works with no room for adjustment.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back