Long story that ends in a reef tank

cedric von puffington

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How’s it going. I’m finally getting everything together to start a saltwater tank. I’m gonna tank the story back to the beginning for how I ended up with a house full of tanks.

Ive been a cop for 18 years and have high blood pressure from copius amounts of nicotine, caffeine and quick to eat fast food while on shift. But like most people I spent my 20’s and early 30’s thinking I’m invincible and nothing can get to me. Nothing changes that like a rolling shootout that goes across multiple cities and gives you a new prospective on invincibility and mortality. Made it fine through it without any extra holes, but decided it was time to get my life right. So I decided to go to the Dr. since I got a reality check and I got a wife and too many kids to not get healthy. Dr made me choose between nicotine and my ridiculously high sodium intake. I like flavor so the cigarettes were out. They also said I should get a hobby to help with stress. Just for time reference this was in 2017.

My daughter wanted an axolotl for Christmas, so I started getting a tank ready for her and decided to set one up for myself. Well the 10 gallon I set up to breed shrimp to feed to the axolotls soon turned into a 55 gallon. Which turned into a 75 gallon and that turned into a 125 and multiple 75’s. Well let’s just say I got a lot of tanks. I bred axolotls for a while but didn’t want to mess with shipping them so I separated them. I’ve got a tank with blood parrots, bichirs, and plecos so that tank is always got some fight going on in it. Can’t put anything in with my flower horn unless it’s food. My fahaka puffer tank is a water filled box of murder and at times I think he is trying to figure out how he can eat me. So with my saltwater tank I’m wanting to go a different direction.

I’m gonna be setting up a 90 gallon slowly for a saltwater tank. I want to have a good number of really small fish in this tank like blennies, gobies and dragonettes. I know that some of them will take a long time before I can add but this is the direction I’m looking to go.

These are 2 of my favorite fish Natsu the flowerhorn and Cedric von Puffington the fahaka puffer
9AEE0329-F8C9-4659-84E9-F144E1B59261.jpeg

B5D93CF2-4102-40C7-B4E9-784378867AB1.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Welcome to the R2R community and we’re glad you joined us !

Jimbhoy13

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How’s it going. I’m finally getting everything together to start a saltwater tank. I’m gonna tank the story back to the beginning for how I ended up with a house full of tanks.

Ive been a cop for 18 years and have high blood pressure from copius amounts of nicotine, caffeine and quick to eat fast food while on shift. But like most people I spent my 20’s and early 30’s thinking I’m invincible and nothing can get to me. Nothing changes that like a rolling shootout that goes across multiple cities and gives you a new prospective on invincibility and mortality. Made it fine through it without any extra holes, but decided it was time to get my life right. So I decided to go to the Dr. since I got a reality check and I got a wife and too many kids to not get healthy. Dr made me choose between nicotine and my ridiculously high sodium intake. I like flavor so the cigarettes were out. They also said I should get a hobby to help with stress. Just for time reference this was in 2017.

My daughter wanted an axolotl for Christmas, so I started getting a tank ready for her and decided to set one up for myself. Well the 10 gallon I set up to breed shrimp to feed to the axolotls soon turned into a 55 gallon. Which turned into a 75 gallon and that turned into a 125 and multiple 75’s. Well let’s just say I got a lot of tanks. I bred axolotls for a while but didn’t want to mess with shipping them so I separated them. I’ve got a tank with blood parrots, bichirs, and plecos so that tank is always got some fight going on in it. Can’t put anything in with my flower horn unless it’s food. My fahaka puffer tank is a water filled box of murder and at times I think he is trying to figure out how he can eat me. So with my saltwater tank I’m wanting to go a different direction.

I’m gonna be setting up a 90 gallon slowly for a saltwater tank. I want to have a good number of really small fish in this tank like blennies, gobies and dragonettes. I know that some of them will take a long time before I can add but this is the direction I’m looking to go.

These are 2 of my favorite fish Natsu the flowerhorn and Cedric von Puffington the fahaka puffer
9AEE0329-F8C9-4659-84E9-F144E1B59261.jpeg

B5D93CF2-4102-40C7-B4E9-784378867AB1.jpeg
Welcome to R2R and the salty world. What a great story. Glad you have made a move to start a healthier life. Lots of knowledgable and helpful people here who will support and advise you when needed.

ReefGrammie

Must...stay...away...from...live...sales...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Welcome to R2R! A saltwater tank is a great choice for stress relief (although it can cause a lot of stress at first). You've come to the right place to help! I look forward to following along! ;Joyful

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!! I’m also a tank addict... 8 tanks plus a betta thingy (idk not really a tank but definitely not a bowl) and now 3 of them are salt! I’m sure you’re gonna absolutely love this side of the aquarium hobby! If you’re going for small fish the ruby red dragonet, captive bred mandarins, Pygmy angels (cherub, coral beauty, etc), all types of goby, fire fish, and blenny are beautiful ways to stock your tank! We absolutely need a build thread from you so we can see your progress. Since you’re a shrimp lover, I think checking out the sexy and fire shrimps would be really fun. Good luck!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 165 66.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back