I needed to ask a question, so it was time to join instead of lurk

Johnd651

Getting back in after 10+ years
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I've had freshwater tanks and ponds my whole life and got my first saltwater aquarium in 1999 (a 90 gallon with 2 porkupine puffers) after I fell in love with a white and black spotted one I saw in a new fish store next to my favorite Mexican restaurant. Which I quickly followed up with a reef tank. I spent the next 5 years heavily involved in various fish tanks, then a move out of the area made it impossible to bring them. In 2013 I started a 29 gallon mini reef for my kids after moving to a new home again to watch which we upgraded to our current tank during COVID and added a 50 gallon puffer tank in 2022 (which has just become a not reef safe fish tank at this time). Over my time away from the hobby many aspects have changed, so while I thought I had a lot of knowledge coming back to the hobby I have found it is pretty much all outdated and having to research and relearn a lot. I decided to officially join the forum after I found out that something was lacking in the reef tank preventing me from keeping polyps alive, as pulsing xenia and green star polyps are 2 of my favorites and I am determined to get them to survive & thrive in my tank (and my son REALLY wants clove polyps) and they literally disappeared over night.
I forgot to ask where upstate?

Adolfo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome r2r.jpg

OP
OP
upstatefamily

upstatefamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• IMG_20240413_111135710.jpg
    IMG_20240413_111135710.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20240413_110947893.jpg
    IMG_20240413_110947893.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 8
OP
OP
upstatefamily

upstatefamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chris Farley Hello GIF

Howdy! Lighting and water quality should probably be where you start to keep them well.
I use Current USA LED lighting set to reef parameters, and have been working to increase nitrates and phosphates, which were at 0, as well as introduce trace minerals, magnesium, calcium and alkality to current recommended levels.

SlasherZ

I dunno, and at this point I'm too afraid to ask
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Current USA LED lighting set to reef parameters, and have been working to increase nitrates and phosphates, which were at 0, as well as introduce trace minerals, magnesium, calcium and alkality to current recommended levels.
Sounds like you're on the right track! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I've had freshwater tanks and ponds my whole life and got my first saltwater aquarium in 1999 (a 90 gallon with 2 porkupine puffers) after I fell in love with a white and black spotted one I saw in a new fish store next to my favorite Mexican restaurant. Which I quickly followed up with a reef tank. I spent the next 5 years heavily involved in various fish tanks, then a move out of the area made it impossible to bring them. In 2013 I started a 29 gallon mini reef for my kids after moving to a new home again to watch which we upgraded to our current tank during COVID and added a 50 gallon puffer tank in 2022 (which has just become a not reef safe fish tank at this time). Over my time away from the hobby many aspects have changed, so while I thought I had a lot of knowledge coming back to the hobby I have found it is pretty much all outdated and having to research and relearn a lot. I decided to officially join the forum after I found out that something was lacking in the reef tank preventing me from keeping polyps alive, as pulsing xenia and green star polyps are 2 of my favorites and I am determined to get them to survive & thrive in my tank (and my son REALLY wants clove polyps) and they literally disappeared over night.
Have you done something different lately? Also tons of reasons light flow parameters do they need to be fed?

OP
OP
upstatefamily

upstatefamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you done something different lately? Also tons of reasons light flow parameters do they need to be fed?
well , nothing was having any issues and then I added the 3 polyp types, zenia, the pocillopora, and a new mushroom. Everything else is fine, just the polyps refused to open all the way after the 1st 2 days - I was trying to find the right water flow spot before glueing them in and the hermit crabs kept knocking them around so that's what I attributed it to) and then 1 morning about a week later the zinnia and all polyps were just gone! Everything else in the tank is happy. I had bean feeding RedSea + frozen food all along and added refrigerated Phyto when I bought the corals ( I found a new store in my area that actually carried Phyto I haven't been able to find it locally ever.)

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 60 74.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back