SlasherZ's First Foray Into Saltwater

SlasherZ

I dunno, and at this point I'm too afraid to ask
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all!

My friends all liken me to a new parent showing off pictures of their babies, so I figured I'd start a tank thread to show my progress to people who might care more and might be able to help steer me in the right directions as everything comes together!

This will be my first ever saltwater tank and I am just SO stoked about it. I've got a tank that's been running for 5 months now. I hope everyone enjoys reading along and watching it grow with me! Pictures to follow soon!

Tank specs:
75 Gallon Rectangle
950gph powerhead
Marineland 375 Penguin Pro HOB
Marineland 300w tank heater
Fluval Sea & Marine (48" - 60") Spectrum LED (59 watt) light

Livestock:
-Fish
 1x Firefish Goby
1x Neon Cleaner Goby
1x Dragon-Face Pipefish
3x Blue/Green Chromis

-Inverts
1x Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
1x Peppermint Shrimp
2x Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit
1x Red Leg Hermit
1x Zebra Hermit
1x Scarlet Reef Hermit
3x Bumblebee Snail
3x Nassarius Snail
3x Astrea Snail
1x Porcelain Anemone Crab

-Macro Algae
1x Caulerpa Mexicana
1x Branching String of Pearls
1x Green Dot Caulerpa
1x Gracilaria Hayi
1x Palm Tree Caulerpa

-Sponges
1x Orange Branch Sponge

OP
OP
SlasherZ

SlasherZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you like that fluval light?? I have the fresh planted ones on a few fresh tanks and was eyeballing the marine one for some extra fill light in my reef
To be honest, I've always avoided fluval due to a couple bad experiences with them in my planted freshwater tanks and only got this one because it was on super duper sale for $80!

That being said...So far it's pretty nice, I really enjoy the control that the fluval app gives over the lighting, and can definitely see it being a plus if I had them in my FW tanks as well since all my controls would be centralized in one app!

I don't know how well it would work for corals since I've got almost zero know how on that, but the macro algeas I've got are thriving, and it does a good job making the tank pretty and well lit!

Knight420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest, I've always avoided fluval due to a couple bad experiences with them in my planted freshwater tanks and only got this one because it was on super duper sale for $80!

That being said...So far it's pretty nice, I really enjoy the control that the fluval app gives over the lighting, and can definitely see it being a plus if I had them in my FW tanks as well since all my controls would be centralized in one app!

I don't know how well it would work for corals since I've got almost zero know how on that, but the macro algeas I've got are thriving, and it does a good job making the tank pretty and well lit!
I like Fluval, my first tank was a 13.5 Fluval. I love the AIO, I'm working on getting the 32.5 version.

BairCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well can't complain with that!

Knight420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh a hint on Chromis. Make sure they have a high flow area to swim in or I found they get bored and peck at each other. Wait I just read you have a porcelain anemone crab? I hope you have a Maxi mini carpet anemone, or some Rock Flower anemones. They need an anemone for protection.

OP
OP
SlasherZ

SlasherZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like Fluval, my first tank was a 13.5 Fluval. I love the AIO, I'm working on getting the 32.5 version.
The Fluval tanks are another matter! I've always enjoyed their aesthetic, and the AIO seems like a great way to get some cool stuff going.

I originally wanted to go that route, but my kid wanted to get a 75g because "bigger is better, dad! Duhh"

Knight420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smart kid, for sure bigger is better. Btw from what I read you have what is called a planted tank. All that algae, trust me they will grow like mad. I normally have just some Chato in my sump. Your Caulerpa might be an issue in your display. You might end up cutting it back a lot.

OP
OP
SlasherZ

SlasherZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh a hint on Chromis. Make sure they have a high flow area to swim in or I found they get bored and peck at each other. Wait I just read you have a porcelain anemone crab? I hope you have a Maxi mini carpet anemone, or some Rock Flower anemones. They need an anemone for protection.
Awesome, thanks for the tips! Internet research can only get me so much, and LFS love to tell me whatever will get me to buy em.
I love the firsthand experience and advice.

The chromis are actually a brand new addition as of today after staying in the QT for a week, that my kiddo was dead set on. They seem to be doing alright with eachother so far and have even been put in place by my firefish believe it or not!

On the anemone crab, I originally bought it thinking it was an off color juvenile emerald crab, and after finding out what he really was I've been too nervous about adding an anemone. I have no experience with them and I'm unsure either I or my tank is ready for one. I don't want to kill the poor thing, nor do i want it to nuke my tank after death.

As far as for protection at least, he seems fine. He perches on his little rock in my palm Caulerpa and filters happy as can be, with the pipefish and firefish totally ignorant of his existence.

However that was prior to adding these chromis. Hopefully they won't hurt him...ill have to keep an eye on it!

OP
OP
SlasherZ

SlasherZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smart kid, for sure bigger is better. Btw from what I read you have what is called a planted tank. All that algae, trust me they will grow like mad. I normally have just some Chato in my sump. Your Caulerpa might be an issue in your display. You might end up cutting it back a lot.
Definitely.

I've actually already added the Caulerpa Mexicana to my weekly trimming day when I cut back my fw plants (looking at you hornwort)

The others have been much slower growers.

Coming from fw, all my displays get nice plants and after looking around the macros seem to be the replacements for that in sw tanks. And not having a refugium I decided to plant them directly.

I'm loving the nutrient export they're doing for me, especially since the kid can be pretty heavy handed when it comes to feeding!

Knight420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't be afraid of Anemones. I have both Maxi mini and Rock flowers. My Maxi mini moves from time to time but my Rock flowers all chose one rock and stuck to it. The only thing is remember to feed the Anemone. The porcelain anemone crab will help with that. Rock Flower anemones sting isn't even that bad. I have one right next to my Zoanthid and the Zoa doesn't mind. It just doesn't grow under the anemone. I've touched both with my bear hands with no issues.

Knight420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely.

I've actually already added the Caulerpa Mexicana to my weekly trimming day when I cut back my fw plants (looking at you hornwort)

The others have been much slower growers.

Coming from fw, all my displays get nice plants and after looking around the macros seem to be the replacements for that in sw tanks. And not having a refugium I decided to plant them directly.

I'm loving the nutrient export they're doing for me, especially since the kid can be pretty heavy handed when it comes to feeding!
Snag some Substrate sauce while you are at it. It is great for adding biodiversity, and takes care of ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, and Phosphate. Be warned it smells like rotten eggs and will rase your Phosphate a bit at first(they add Phosphate to the bottle to feed the bacteria) but it is a life saver when it comes to keeping your Nitrate and Phosphate down.

OP
OP
SlasherZ

SlasherZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't be afraid of Anemones. I have both Maxi mini and Rock flowers. My Maxi mini moves from time to time but my Rock flowers all chose one rock and stuck to it. The only thing is remember to feed the Anemone. The porcelain anemone crab will help with that. Rock Flower anemones sting isn't even that bad. I have one right next to my Zoanthid and the Zoa doesn't mind. It just doesn't grow under the anemone. I've touched both with my bear hands with no issues.
Awesome. I'll look into them! Thanks for the heads up.

I actually just noticed a couple spots of red cyano in the tank and figured I'd go ahead and give the tank a few days of blackout starting today since I turn the lights off when adding new fish (chromis this time) anyways.

Since they need some lighting I'll probably wait until I'm done fighting off this slime before adding the anemone anyways. Gives me time to read up on them further!

Knight420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. I'll look into them! Thanks for the heads up.

I actually just noticed a couple spots of red cyano in the tank and figured I'd go ahead and give the tank a few days of blackout starting today since I turn the lights off when adding new fish (chromis this time) anyways.

Since they need some lighting I'll probably wait until I'm done fighting off this slime before adding the anemone anyways. Gives me time to read up on them further!
Get a sand vacuum, it's important to stur the sand regularly. I do it everytime I do a water change. I just pull the water straight from the sand. A sand sifter Goby is a good addition to your clean up crew. Just be careful as they can burry things in sand.

I would be careful on lowering your light with all the Macro algae you have.

OP
OP
SlasherZ

SlasherZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a sand vacuum, it's important to stur the sand regularly. I do it everytime I do a water change. I just pull the water straight from the sand. A sand sifter Goby is a good addition to your clean up crew. Just be careful as they can burry things in sand.

I would be careful on lowering your light with all the Macro algae you have.
Yeah! I've got a gravel vacuum I've been making do with, definitely been wanting one that works better for finer substrates. Most of my water changes happen while vacuuming as well.

I'll look into the sand Sifter Goby, thanks!

Good reminder on the macros, I'll pull them out into the QT for the duration.

OP
OP
SlasherZ

SlasherZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's some pics of the tank as is!

Feel confident I got the cyano before it really got started so I'll be leaving my lights on.

New stock from a friend of mine, 2x Bangai Cardinals, 1x Engineer Goby, and 1x unknown anemone. We think it's maybe a Condylactis? My buddy has an anemone crab that shelters in his other one so we're hoping they'll get along well.

Attachments

• 20231007_191703.jpg
    20231007_191703.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 41
  • 20231007_191645.jpg
    20231007_191645.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 45
  • 20231007_193554.jpg
    20231007_193554.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 20231007_191655.jpg
    20231007_191655.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 43
  • 20231007_191650.jpg
    20231007_191650.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 41

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's some pics of the tank as is!

Feel confident I got the cyano before it really got started so I'll be leaving my lights on.

New stock from a friend of mine, 2x Bangai Cardinals, 1x Engineer Goby, and 1x unknown anemone. We think it's maybe a Condylactis? My buddy has an anemone crab that shelters in his other one so we're hoping they'll get along well.
Tank looks great!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%

Back