OP
SlasherZ

SlasherZ

I dunno, and at this point I'm too afraid to ask
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New stock ready to go into the tank! A bicolor blenny that's equal parts beautiful and goofy, and a happy little emerald crab!

Both from reliable sources so currently acclimating to go directly into the tank! Pics to follow once they get settled in.

OP
OP
SlasherZ

SlasherZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the blenny, not the best pictures since he's still being shy, but he seems to have found a cozy little overhang in my rockwork!

Attachments

• 20231027_151108.jpg
    20231027_151108.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 20231027_150758.jpg
    20231027_150758.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 34
  • 20231027_150753.jpg
    20231027_150753.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 34
OP
OP
SlasherZ

SlasherZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Butterface (named by the girlfriend because she's so pretty... But her face is Ew) the blenny, happy in her new hole!

Attachments

• 20231027_183922.jpg
    20231027_183922.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 29
OP
OP
SlasherZ

SlasherZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've decided to move some mollies from our freshwater tank over to the saltwater tank today. Going to make it a bit of an experiment as well, due to varying info found during research!

We have three mollies that have been voluntold to participate...

One will be dropped directly in after temp acclimating

One will be drip acclimated over 16 hours

One will be drip acclimated over 32 hours

Here's hoping they all do well in the transfer!

OP
OP
SlasherZ

SlasherZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunate news. None of the mollies made it more than a day in the tank.

On the brighter side, it's payday and I'm planning to get some corals frags! Anyone have a recommendation on corals they had luck with when first starting? Thinking about a small zoa frag and some gsp just to see how things go. Love the look of gsp on the back wall.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SlasherZ

SlasherZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a while since I've updated this! So far, not too much has changed...it's mostly just been maintaining steady parameters and experimenting with a few small coral frags.

I've had this weeping willow toadstool for a week now and I'm still super stoked about it! (don't mind my pipefish, he likes to chill under it.)

1000013590.jpg

OP
OP
SlasherZ

SlasherZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a bunch of new corals this week, an awesome early Xmas present from the girlfriend! New is some pulsing xenia, some branching GSP, a pretty green sinularia, a toadstool, and some bigass green paly/zoas! Also a tiger conch and a feather duster. That conch is a goooofy looking guy!
1000013626.jpg
1000013625.jpg
1000013622.jpg

Any thoughts guys?

OP
OP
SlasherZ

SlasherZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I travel for work sometimes and after being gone for two weeks I've come back to my tank being full of green water... The fish and corals are all happy and healthy still... Just not something I want in a DT :grinning-face-with-sweat:

I've done two 25% water changes over the past week and it really hasn't helped much. Last night I bought a cheap UV light, one of the green machine things from petco. I haven't got a sump on this tank so I can get one that's hard plumbed in and this was my best option. I'm hoping it will help out some.

Nitrates are kinda high, sitting at 22 as of last night, so I dumped a bunch of my macro algea trimmings from my macro tank into the DT, hoping this helps to export those nitrates which I'm guessing are from extra big feedings my kid and fiance did while I was gone.

Anyone have advise on how to further deal with this issue, or am I doing alright so far?

OP
OP
SlasherZ

SlasherZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if it's my water changes or the UV light, but I've been seeing progress over the past few days! The water is slowly but steadily looking better!

1000014333.jpg
1000014331.jpg

OP
OP
SlasherZ

SlasherZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad the UV and water changes helped - are you running activated carbon? That may also help.
Yeah, I don't have a sump on this tank... Just a penguin hob. Bio balls and ceramic rings on one side for amphipods and detritus, sponge and and carbon on the other. Been putting extra carbon in and changing it every day or two since this started.

It's gotten much better, This morning I could see all the way through to the back of the tank! If I look through the side I can see maybe halfway through. I do have a lot of particulates though so I think I should swap my Sponges for filter floss or something.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I don't have a sump on this tank... Just a penguin hob. Bio balls and ceramic rings on one side for amphipods and detritus, sponge and and carbon on the other. Been putting extra carbon in and changing it every day or two since this started.

It's gotten much better, This morning I could see all the way through to the back of the tank! If I look through the side I can see maybe halfway through. I do have a lot of particulates though so I think I should swap my Sponges for filter floss or something.
I use this stuff, it's much easier to just toss it and replace. Easy to cut to size, nice and cheap!

OP
OP
SlasherZ

SlasherZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! That is much cheaper than what I was looking into. Thanks for the rec!

How longs it usually last for you?
I use it in my frag system, generally swap out once a month more or less. You'll want to check it daily with how cloudy your water is - once it's cleared up, you shouldn't need to change it more than twice a month, I'd guess. Just keep an eye one it because it is fine enough to restrict water flow if it gets clogged up.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you mean how long the roll lasts me, I have only purchased one roll so far since my tank has been up since the start of December 2023 - not near to finishing the roll, it's massive

OP
OP
SlasherZ

SlasherZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suh-weet! Yeah, it's pretty easy to tell when it's ready for a change even without peeking because the waterfall will slow down.

OP
OP
SlasherZ

SlasherZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1000014372.jpg
1000014373.jpg
1000014374.jpg
1000014375.jpg

Here's some updated pics as promised. Huge HUGE improvement over last week. Happy to see everyone is happy and thriving!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back