Low Tech 10g Nano Reef-The beginnings

Advil_LiquiGLs

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
May 12, 2026
Messages
45
Reaction score
48
Location
Las Vegas
What state or country do you live in
Nevada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! Thought id just share an update

After posting an awful thread about "is my tank cycled in a week", I decided to turn off the lights and let everything chill. My last post was a couple months ago, and my tank should be cycled for sure. Confirmed with Salifert tests.

Ammonia-0
Nitrites-0
Nitrates- >100

Im not gonna lie. Keeping up with topping off in the desert is no joke. This beast drinks a vase full of water every week at least, and its hard to keep up with making rodi...I will admit, Ive been using regular drinking water instead of RODI for topoff but I havent had any mad algae blooms or anything questionable that is not normal to a normal cycle. I have a solution in mind:

Putting a glass lid on. This will conserve water the most but im concerned about how much light will get filtered out. I plan on buying a Nicrew Navareef 65w, and if i can use a glass lid and have minimal dropoff in PAR, that would be nice.

My second complaint is all the salt creep. I think putting a lid will mitigate this as well

Did a 50 percent WC and for that ill used rodi from a seahorse rodi filter

I understand people like tinkering with multiple gadgets and having skimmers and whatnot. But I literally have a cheap fluval internal filter rated for 30g in this build and a small current fan paired with a Nicrew Navareef 65w led light, and that's it. Take it or leave it, I believe you can keep a reef for the cheap and have it last a long time as long as you understand what you must buy and where you can skimp. Like, the aqueon 10s that are standard at petsmart are golden to me because of one thing: They don't leak like seamless aquariums might. Id rather have brackets than a leak, but that's just my cup of tea, Ive heard bad things about Red Sea seamless tanks...

Oh and no heater. My house stays at 75-76, and I think a 65w light will heat the aquarium to a couple more degrees, if at all

I plan on adding stock from my LFS, they have:

1x Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
1x Hermit Crab
2x Margarita snails

As for corals Im still undecided. I do want a green duncan coral cause they're cheap, but I need to read up more because i don't want coral warfare in this tank. Just a peaceful little 10 with some cool corals and some inverts is the plan. No fish, unless theres one that really fits 10 gallons.

Thanks for reading! All comments welcome. Any favorite corals for a 10g? Have a blessed day yall.



20261007_201328.jpg
 
Big shoutout to my dad for jerry rigging the Seahorse to a plank of wood and an old basket stand. I think it's a work of art, for rodi all I gotta do is attach it to our garden hose and run it, and we use the wastewater for our plants, so far so good, havent experienced anything negative on our plants yet.



20261007_203429.jpg
 
Do you plan on running an ATO for your tank or just do it by hand?

You said there's no heater in your tank? Do you have a range of what you want your tank's temperature to be? I've seen some people run a tank without a heater, and I always find it interesting.

Following along, seems like a cool tank to watch as it progresses!
 
This will conserve water the most but im concerned about how much light will get filtered out.
Don't be. I have a glass lid and the light loss is negligible. Maybe 5%.
E.g Radion lights can be enhanced with a diffuser which is essential a cover as well.
The cover does need cleaning at least once a month. And if it's too close to water in will grow calcium overt it that would need to be scrubbed. And don't make it super tight, leave some space to breath.
 
I would remove that filter, honestly its unattractive and takes a lot of space and its totally pointless IMO, the rocks are the biofilter, and small weekly water changes will keep that tank in good shape.

I would add an auto-top off, if you don't want to sped $100 on an ATO system, at least get the bottle cap ATO from amazon for $20, that will save you the effort of topping off manually every day.

I would point that powerhead upwards to get some surface agitation going to help oxygenate the water, a flat water surface is not good.

Otherwise, it all looks good, good luck.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 8 24.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new