Long strands that look like hair?

RRsNano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this algae? I’ve noticed it on some frag racks and a few strands on the sand bed. I thought it was my daughters hair at first. It’s causing some of my Zoas to close up.

Tank parameters;
1.026sg
8ph
10ppm nitrAte
7kh
400ca
1400mg
Don’t have a phosphate test / tester

876DCB26-EC67-4381-B476-44480892CD9B.jpeg 5FF42A09-F658-46A1-8C67-DAD1808D3F2B.jpeg

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it hold its form (stay in strands) when you grab onto it? Are you able to physically remove it? Or does it break up when you try to grab onto it?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Blow it loose with a turkey baster and net it up and discard. See how soon it returns if it does.
I suspect Dino over diatoms but unsure

OP
OP
RRsNano

RRsNano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it hold its form (stay in strands) when you grab onto it? Are you able to physically remove it? Or does it break up when you try to grab onto it?

If I remove it slowly it holds together but if I remove it fast through the water when removing it it’ll break apart.

Blow it loose with a turkey baster and net it up and discard. See how soon it returns if it does.
I suspect Dino over diatoms but unsure

I removed the frag holder last night and made a new one. This morning I saw tiny strands on the new one I put in the tank last night.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
If I remove it slowly it holds together but if I remove it fast through the water when removing it it’ll break apart.

I removed the frag holder last night and made a new one. This morning I saw tiny strands on the new one I put in the tank last night.
Sounds about right. You can break off the tube at the base and discard for permanent elimination

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
You’re losing me. What’s they? You said Dino or diatoms?
I was posting ion wrong thread. . . my bad. (was a thread on spinoid worms)
How does your tank look today.

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was posting ion wrong thread. . . my bad. (was a thread on spinoid worms)
How does your tank look today.
Lol that made me laugh even I was like ummm what are you talking about to op question is it green red or brown? If brown dinos most likly if red cyno if green its a few strands of gha

OP
OP
RRsNano

RRsNano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered the Hanna phosphate tester (713).

my parameters are below;
nitrAte: under 10ppm
Phosphate: .27
Alkalinity: 7
Calcium: 400
Magnesium: 1350-1400

I don’t understand how my phosphats are this high? I have 3 fish (clown, wrasse, forktail bleny), snails (dwarf and fl ceriths, 2x nassarius & 2 trochus) and 2x porcelain crabs. I feed less than a penny size of LRS nano reef frenzy every other day. I have several acans and a Duncan that I feed pellets to (reef nutrition TDO chroma boost) but I target feed them so no leftover pellets are in the tank. I have feed reef roids once every two weeks but I don’t even use a 1/4tsp and again, I target feed the acans and Duncan and green slimer acro)

Any ideas what’s causing it to be high? And would this explain the long hair Dino? I noticed a few very small red spots in the sand, probability cyano, but it’s not bad at all and it’s not on the rocks just 2-3 spots in the sand the size of a half dollar. The snails are mixing the sand up pretty well.

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old are your rocks
Base rock or live
May be leaching from your rockwork and or sand
Thats ussually where it comes from add some phosban or cemipure blue use as directed and it'll get an lower

OP
OP
RRsNano

RRsNano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old are your rocks
Base rock or live
May be leaching from your rockwork and or sand
Thats ussually where it comes from add some phosban or cemipure blue use as directed and it'll get an lower

The rocks are around 5 months old, they’re 2x caribsea 12” arches and 1x caribsea nano arch. Got them from world wide coral in their wet bins but I did let them dry out though, I wanted to try Marco rock but liked the arches better.

The sand was new, tropic eden Tonga pink.

I just ordered some pre-bagged chemipure elite, it’ll be here tomorrow. I also got the desktop uv sterilizer from innovative marine hooked up today. Hopefully that’ll help some too.

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tje uv wont do anything for phosphates but the chemipure blue will use as directed as this stuff if used incorrectly can depleate your system and starve things I use chemipure blue myself good stuff if the rocks are 5 months old and the phosphates have been high for awhile they have absorbed alot and when u drop them in the water it'll leach from the rock so u will need to keep them alittle lower then your end aim to leach them out untill you get it where u want them then stabalize at that point

OP
OP
RRsNano

RRsNano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tje uv wont do anything for phosphates but the chemipure blue will use as directed as this stuff if used incorrectly can depleate your system and starve things I use chemipure blue myself good stuff if the rocks are 5 months old and the phosphates have been high for awhile they have absorbed alot and when u drop them in the water it'll leach from the rock so u will need to keep them alittle lower then your end aim to leach them out untill you get it where u want them then stabalize at that point

the UV is for the dinos.

I just tested the phosphates for the first time ever. I dosed some reef roids at lights out last night so could that have skewed the test? I’m going to test again this weekend and see. Either way I don’t think they’re too high based on my search. I’m not doing a low nutrient system I just wanted to get the possible dinos under control before they got out of hand.

I got the chemipure elite, some said it does better to reduce Phosphates than the blue since it has GFO in it.

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iv read contradicting things between elite and blue and what I can up with is elite is better for nitrates while blue is better at phosphates but elite should also work as both have some fourm of phosban type stuff

And ya the uv right will definatly help with dinos that's exactly how I got rid of mine been running uv ever since

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And no .27 is not that high at all I had an old test tank and I didn't see any major negative effects untill it hit 5ppm not .5
So ya .27 is not to bad at all just make sure it does not creep up on ya

I run a low dissolved organic high susspended organic system so lots food but low nutrients

Good luck

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also dont let it get to 5 you will have lots unwanted algie but I didn't have anything actually die just slower growth and tons of nussance algie

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But also dont let it bottom out as that will cause problems also

I personally aim for a balance of .1 phosphate to every 2ppm nitrate

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back