Longhorn Blenny (Hypsoblennius exstochilus)

  • Thread starter Thread starter Paul87
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Paul87

Fellow Reefer
View Badges
Joined
May 18, 2013
Messages
1,785
Reaction score
1,647
Location
Tennessee
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked this little guy up the other day. He seems skinny, but what really neat. According to LA, the top out under 3" and may possibly nip at SPS's. I took that gamble to give this little dude a chance. I'll be keeping a close eye on him. Has anyone else kept this fish before? Doesn't appear to be a ton of info on them.

RYq3ROE.jpg

bGoGuxq.jpg


Checking out the new place.
 
Awesome fish! I have zero experience with it but tuning in!
 
They are very personable, but I find that they really aren't a risk for nipping on sps.
 
They are very personable, but I find that they really aren't a risk for nipping on sps.
That's good to hear. According to LA they are known to nip at SPS and clam mantles. I think there is that chance with a lot of blennies though. So far, so good.
 
Sometimes certain species are lumped in with blenny species that actually commit those crimes on those websites, guilt by genetic association, I guess. Hopefully, yours remains innocent and has a nice life in your tank. Awesome fish!!! ;)

BTW, I used to keep a feather blenny (Hypsoblennius hentz) in my tank and loved that fish. I caught him locally too, even more of a bonus.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 14 42.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 2 6.1%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 6.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new