Longnose hawkish not eating

saulopro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello.
Our longnose hawk fish is not eating at all.
He’s been in the aquarium for almost 1 month, we started giving regular flakes but he didn’t eat anything. Then gave Krill flakes and he still didn’t eat anything. Sometimes he would eat a piece and spit it out.
This week we started giving him brine shrimp, he ate it the first time, but now not eating.
When I feed the fishes, he goes up, looks at the food that passes in front of his face and he doesn’t eat anything.
Tried food with garlic juice, tried some clams and nothing.
Does anyone have any other idea?
I’m worried he might die.

It’s a 4 month aquarium, around 50 gallons. His mates are 2 Nemo clowns, 1 wrasse and 1 purple fire goby.

B2E86CD7-8CA3-4068-9872-D71F0E64A791.jpeg

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just if you can clarify please.
Been in the tank for a month and not eating?
does he look, act, like he’s starving?
Seems just a tad odd that he would still be with you after a month of not eating.
Is it possible you just don’t see him eat?
Maybe he’s snacking on PODS.

Krully

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try frozen mysis and/or frozen krill, mine went ham from it one hour after acclimatation. Could also try tiny bit of fresh clam or mussel? Mine will not eat flakes or pellets yet, he ate a few flakes by accident but that's pretty much it.

OP
OP
saulopro

saulopro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just if you can clarify please.
Been in the tank for a month and not eating?
does he look, act, like he’s starving?
Seems just a tad odd that he would still be with you after a month of not eating.
Is it possible you just don’t see him eat?
Maybe he’s snacking on PODS.
When I go to feed them, he swims up excited, stares at the food, swims around and then goes back to perching in the stones.
Maybe he eats something, otherwise he wouldn’t be alive.

I just tried something different now and apparently it worked!
I turned off the whole tank circulation and spread some brine on the surface. He went nuts and has been going at it for 10 minutes.

Krully

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I go to feed them, he swims up excited, stares at the food, swims around and then goes back to perching in the stones.
Maybe he eats something, otherwise he wouldn’t be alive.

I just tried something different now and apparently it worked!
I turned off the whole tank circulation and spread some brine on the surface. He went nuts and has been going at it for 10 minutes.

Happy ending! Now you can try adding different foods to the brine and he should end up eating those too

OP
OP
saulopro

saulopro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy ending! Now you can try adding different foods to the brine and he should end up eating those too
I hope so!!
But the weird thing is that he goes up, stares a little, and pecks into (apparently) nothing. There are some big pieces, but he eats around it.
But he has been going up for a long time, so he probably ate something. I will see if he continues like these.
Thank you guys

m_t_r_86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try frozen mysis and/or frozen krill, mine went ham from it one hour after acclimatation. Could also try tiny bit of fresh clam or mussel? Mine will not eat flakes or pellets yet, he ate a few flakes by accident but that's pretty much it.

I agree. My long nose hawkfish lives frozen and won't touch any other food the tank gets. Give that a shot. I'd be shocked if he refuses.

Back