Marine Betta Not Eating

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have had a wild marine betta for over a week and I’m concerned because I haven’t seen him eat one bite. The seller had him eating krill for around 2 weeks. And I think he may have an infection on his lip from rubbing against the glass as he didn’t have it when I got him originally it’s minor though. He’s fat and extremely active especially when the lights are off which is good. Does anyone else have this issue? Is the more likely cause he’s eating at night and when I’m not looking? Will he ever eat prepared foods? I’ve added pods and live mysis. And I tried feeding him pellets, squid, mysis, shrimp, R.O.E Feast etc. I had this happen with Hewbie but once he got to eat a live crab he transitioned immediately to prepared foods. I thought this species was supposed to be easy and highly disease resistant? Do I try brine? What do you feed yours? Did you ever get them on prepared foods?

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
In my experience as I have had a few, they can be difficult to feed. I have always QT separately until actively feeding. I always start them with live shrimp. I get them from aquaculturenurseryfarms.com (RUSALTY). When they eat they are awesome to watch as they curl above the food to corner it then strike lightning fast. I have gotten them eating krill as it looks like the shrimp. I would say mysis and pods a little small to provide their needs. Of course mine were larger to start.

One way I have gotten fish to take dead food is to tie a knot in a piece of clear fishing line and dangle it around them so it is moving. However I have found betas to be very reclusive and not interested in being out when I am feeding.

maethuu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Biota Marine Betta and it eats frozen already but I find that it loves blackworms. I feel like you can never go wrong with blackworms. Unfortunately they can be difficult to come by though. If anything the most difficult thing is giving it time to look at food and deciding if it wants to eat it similar to a CBB. Mine doesn't chase and needs to be semi-target fed.

I feel like they hunt amphipods at night.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try live ghost shrimp. Add 3 or 4 at a time, even the freshwater ones are fine as they'll survive for hours dropped into saltwater. They are a perfect food for a marine betta, and a natural food choice. Depending on how large your marine betta is, live brine may just be ignored, as it is pretty small for a subadult or adult fish.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So he won't eat the krill he was eating at the shop anymore either? If that's the case, you might want to take a couple pics of what you think might indicate an infection and ask Jay about it...
Maybe it would help to QT him for a short time to observe his behavior more closely and also try a few different foods until he begins to eat? White worms would be my suggestion!

gregbenner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My marine beta is the largest in my aquarium, probably six or 7 inches. I’ve had him for six months, and he is the most unaggressive eater of any of my fish. I use a baster and push it down very close in front of him to make sure he gets enough to eat, I feed him P Mysis, and blood worms.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
These fish are crepuscular and will be most comfortable feeding at "dusk" and "dawn", so you may need to adjust your feeding schedule for them.
Yes I think so too. He is most active when the lights are out and I notice he’s a very shy fish I have to walk away for him to really come out and I assume he eats. I’ve seen him take one bite and that’s it but I think he’s eating since he’s so active when the lights are off and I’m not in the room. I can see him on the camera.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 76 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back