Looked over the edge for too long, fell in the rabbit hole

Nootch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I have always had a desire to do a saltwater tank and this being the 4th year i have owned my one home, and the one i want to be in for a very long time, i made the choice to start looking into the Saltwater and boy o' boy did i fall in the rabbit hole. Been a while since I have been regular on forums, but I am sure I will get back into the swing of things quickly. As for me, I am just a guy who lives alone and works up in the Oil Sands of Northern Alberta. 2020 has been a strange year on many fronts for me and everyone, and I am endeavoring to make the best of the last half and this next project is the start of it. A simple reminder that long term goals are met every day with a bit of diligence.

As for my initial thought and design, i took the tape to the floor last night and came up with this for an idea. I feel that this will allow for a diverse range of coral growth and animal habitat as there will be 3 distinct zones to control light and coral arrangements. Opinions before i get to far along this path would be appreciated.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

222G Tank.jpg

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. You will love it here, where we share the joys and heartbreaks of reefing together. At a safe distance.

Pretty unique shape you plan there. Are you going to build that yourself or go to a custom builder?

I would suggest you leave space between the wall and the tank. 4-6" We all hate the look of that gap, but it saves a lot of future trouble.

OP
OP
Nootch

Nootch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Neat Idea, who are you getting to build your tank?
Carpenter friend for the base cabinet, glass shop for the panels, and if the design passes stress testing from my engineer friend.... I will be assembling it myself. Still in planning stage and debating building a steel base ring for the bottom to hold it at its greatest stress points.

Arricefe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I have always had a desire to do a saltwater tank and this being the 4th year i have owned my one home, and the one i want to be in for a very long time, i made the choice to start looking into the Saltwater and boy o' boy did i fall in the rabbit hole. Been a while since I have been regular on forums, but I am sure I will get back into the swing of things quickly. As for me, I am just a guy who lives alone and works up in the Oil Sands of Northern Alberta. 2020 has been a strange year on many fronts for me and everyone, and I am endeavoring to make the best of the last half and this next project is the start of it. A simple reminder that long term goals are met every day with a bit of diligence.

As for my initial thought and design, i took the tape to the floor last night and came up with this for an idea. I feel that this will allow for a diverse range of coral growth and animal habitat as there will be 3 distinct zones to control light and coral arrangements. Opinions before i get to far along this path would be appreciated.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

222G Tank.jpg
Welcome and WOW! you're going all in! I wish I could give you some good info but I will say good luck! It should be a lot of fun!

OP
OP
Nootch

Nootch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. You will love it here, where we share the joys and heartbreaks of reefing together. At a safe distance.

Pretty unique shape you plan there. Are you going to build that yourself or go to a custom builder?

I would suggest you leave space between the wall and the tank. 4-6" We all hate the look of that gap, but it saves a lot of future trouble.
thankfully the back wall on the long side the mechanical room and that is where the sump will live. I intent on removing a portion of that wall to have access to the back of the tank if necessary.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thankfully the back wall on the long side the mechanical room and that is where the sump will live. I intent on removing a portion of that wall to have access to the back of the tank if necessary.

Mechanical room!

You're just trying to make me jealous.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back