Looking for 90 gallon tank used or new

maxone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking to upgrade from a 20 gallon to a 90 gallon and was wondering if anyone knew of a good company to buy from that's relatively inexpensive or someone in southeast Florida in the west palm area or close to that, and has or knows of a reef ready 90-gallon tank. Also if I get a new tank what lights that are relatively inexpensive I could get for a 90-gallon mixed reef yes I will most likely have acros and euphlyia. also, what power head should I use. Also let me know if you guys disagree witht the tank size for what im doing.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If inexpensive is your main adjective

Search Craigslist for someone getting out of the hobby

BTW, hope you realize that putting together a 90 with everything involved, equipment, lr, fish, coral is going to be a cool $2,000-$3,000 before you know it

Last edited:

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most inexpensive 90 gallons will be the standard rimmed/framed 90 gallons from Aqueon, Marineland, Deep Blue. All 3 will make 'reef ready' setups, which means they will have a corner overflow the runs from the top to bottom of the tank with 1 hole for a drain and 1 hole for a return.

Should be in the range of a few hundred bucks. Talk to some fish stores and see what their prices are for those specific brands. If you let them talk you into a Red Sea reefer or similar, it will be way more expensive and actually less reliable.

For lights, you'll get lots of opinions. The most popular cheaper lights will be the 'black box' LED type lights, especially the brands Viparspectra and Marsaqua. 2 would cover your tank just fine, and they are powerful enough to grow anything. Another option would be to find a used 4-6 bulb T5 fixture that's in good shape.

For powerheads, there are tons of options. I always will recommend 2-3 units so you can aim and adjust flow.

On tank size, 90 gallon (48*18*24 high) is a great tank. Another to look at would be a standard 75, which is just a few inches less height, and a standard 120 which is 4*2*2.

OP
OP
maxone

maxone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so what would be the best reliable tank to get preferably rimless

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best and rimless and inexpensive are kind of contradictory.

Most popular medium sized rimless tanks are probably Red Sea, Waterbox, Innovative Marine, and some others. SCA would be someone I'd look into. ELOS tanks are really fancy.

SE Florida, with West Palm and Lauderdale and Miami, will be full of fish stores. Your best best would be to wander around a few stores and see what they carry and what their prices are.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking to upgrade from a 20 gallon to a 90 gallon and was wondering if anyone knew of a good company to buy from that's relatively inexpensive or someone in southeast Florida in the west palm area or close to that, and has or knows of a reef ready 90-gallon tank. Also if I get a new tank what lights that are relatively inexpensive I could get for a 90-gallon mixed reef yes I will most likely have acros and euphlyia. also, what power head should I use. Also let me know if you guys disagree witht the tank size for what im doing.
Hello. I have a 91 gallon Reef tank that may appeal to you. Only ran 5 Months. Has everything to set up. are you interested?

OP
OP
maxone

maxone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I am how much are you looking to sell it for

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I am how much are you looking to sell it for
Hello. The price I’m selling it for is $4300 and negotiable as I have 150lbs worth of live rock, return pump, protein skimmer body and head, AI Prime LED light and hard light mount, 2 fish: a 2” lyretail Anthias female and a 4” powder brown tang. I also have 2 boxes full of brand new un opened supplies I never got to use. How does this sound?

OP
OP
maxone

maxone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds amazing but no where near something I could afford right now sorry man

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were you: 75 gallon tank at Petco is on sale for $209.99. If you can find a Petco near you that has one in stock you can order online pick up in store and get 10% off. It’s not reef-ready but you can make it reef-ready by buying an external overflow and you drill a hole. The overflow comes with everything you need to drill a professional quality hole. Then you could buy a 4 foot light fixture on eBay With 4 T5 bulbs 2x10 K and 2x actinic blue for around $160. So you could probably have your tank with overflow and lights for under 500 bucks. Then you could buy sand at $20 for 40 lbs at Petsmart. Then you could buy a 200 gallon box of salt for 40 bucks at Chewy. I have all these links. Let me know if you’re interested.

Last edited:

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds amazing but no where near something I could afford right now sorry man
No worries man. Thank you for taking interest though. If you could give me a price range I could give you some tips on where to buy the certain tank you are looking for?

OP
OP
maxone

maxone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0-600$ is my price rang ive seen some nice used ones on offer up i might go with

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were you: 75 gallon tank at Petco is on sale for $209.99. If you can find a Petco near you that has one in stock you can order online pick up in store and get 10% off. It’s not reef-ready but you can make it reef-ready by buying an external overflow and you drill a hole. The overflow comes with everything you need to drill a professional quality hole. Then you could buy a 4 foot light fixture on eBay With 4 T5 bulbs 2x10 K and 2x actinic blue for around $160. So you could probably have your tank with overflow and lights for under 500 bucks. Then you could buy sand at $20 for 40 lbs at Petsmart. Then you could buy a 200 gallon box of salt for 40 bucks at Chewy. I have all these links. Let me know if you’re interested.
Make sure it's not tempered glass before you buy and or drill. You can check with polarized sunglasses and an older LCD screen.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 94 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back