Looking for a new return pump

  • Thread starter Thread starter zemuss
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

zemuss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 1, 2010
Messages
1,254
Reaction score
109
Location
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Deep Blue Reef Ready 60g cube and right now the Jebao DC3000 isn't cutting it regarding return flow.

I added a manifold to the system which splits my return into three different returns: display, reactor and fuge. This of course could have caused the issue I am having.

So what pump do you recommend for me?

I was looking at the latest pumps from Jebao the DCT8000 seems to be good, but also looking at the RLSS DC 10k.
 
You need to ignore which pump for the moment and do the math on how much flow you need. Start with the size of the tank drains(about 600gph per 1" of drain), head height(distance water has to be lifted to return to tank). Add in any addition tap flows you need and you should find a pump that will flow that amount at the head height of the tank. Then it's time to decide which brand you want.
 
The pump I have is fine for the tank if I didn't have it plumbed into a manifold, but i do so the head loss is the issue. The manifold adds more head loss because one pump is serving many devices.

So I guess I should just get a bigger Jebao pump like the dct 8000.
 
It may not be the most efficient method but I like to have a pump that's slightly larger than what I need so I can bleed off a bit of flow if necessary or have additional flow if I want to run a reactor off of it.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new