Looking for a return pump, opinion needed

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a 45gl with a 21gl sump. I will hard plum approx 4' and will split to 3/4 LocLines of flow. Budget... 200.00

Im stuck on which pump to buy.

Aquamaxx Magnus vsg 6000 1580gph
Jebao dcp 6500
Deep Water BLDC5 1400gph (leaning on this model)
Skimz QuietPro 6.0 1585gph

Im looking for something with a control and enough flow to add a reactor if need be in the near future.

Not much info on the Deep Water.
I have read the skimz is a jebao with a different brand name and the aquamaxx had rusting parts from the first gen. Not much info or reviews on the 5.1 generation.

Tyvm!

OP
OP
West1

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
On a 45 gallon tank you don't need any more than 300gph at the tank.
Checkout the VarioS-2.
Non dc pump I'd look at the Sicce Syncra 3.0 or the 4.0

Any pump I get, I plan to run at lowest gph. The varios 2 is Out of Stock, had my eye on the varios 4 but was late to the party.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Any pump I get, I plan to run at lowest gph. The varios 2 is Out of Stock, had my eye on the varios 4 but was late to the party.
Amazon has both.
Unfortunately they are both at retail prices.
I was hoping to find the VarioS-4 at a better price this morning. I missed BRS sale even though I got up at 5am.

OP
OP
West1

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Amazon has both.
Unfortunately they are both at retail prices.
I was hoping to find the VarioS-4 at a better price this morning. I missed BRS sale even though I got up at 5am.

I woke up and logged on at 3:15am pacific... all models were sold out.

Whats your opinion on the deepwater brand? I ran into a 2yr old thread with the bigger bldc12 at 13' head still running strong. A few other owners of different models seem very happy.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I woke up and logged on at 3:15am pacific... all models were sold out.

Whats your opinion on the deepwater brand? I ran into a 2yr old thread with the bigger bldc12 at 13' head still running strong. A few other owners of different models seem very happy.
I've never used one.
They ones I recommended are brands that I have used and would ( or am using now) use again on my own systems.
I value quiet and reliability, and will spend extra if needed.

There are several Tunze and Eheim pumps that would work for your system that are proven long term options.

Efranco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using the Aquamaxx Magnus vsg 6000 for 6 months with no issues on my 90g with 30g sump... great pump,really quiet and small foot print...I think for the price , you can't beat it

OP
OP
West1

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've been using the Aquamaxx Magnus vsg 6000 for 6 months with no issues on my 90g with 30g sump... great pump,really quiet and small foot print...I think for the price , you can't beat it

The one review that made me think twice was where the pump became lout after 9-10 months and MarineDepot replaced the controller. Not many reviews on these brands.

Im highly considering the DeepWater 5. Has a built in temp controller to prevent overheating and is a DC pump @34Watts

Efranco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea there hasn' been many reviews,but the old pump I was using was extremely loud and i did all I could to quiet it down with no luck. I think Marine Depot is selling them for 179$...they seem really well made. I have mine set at almost 100% and it' still really quiet...guess I'll see if that changes in a few more months

OP
OP
West1

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
yea there hasn' been many reviews,but the old pump I was using was extremely loud and i did all I could to quiet it down with no luck. I think Marine Depot is selling them for 179$...they seem really well made. I have mine set at almost 100% and it' still really quiet...guess I'll see if that changes in a few more months

Correct and I already placed an order for the Deepwater 5.
You had the first gen BLDC running external and not run same one submerged? How long have you had it and what model?

Swoody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sicce Syncra 4....935gph...super quiet, Have been using this on my 135gdt with 40g sump for over a year....zero issues,

OP
OP
West1

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sicce Syncra 4....935gph...super quiet, Have been using this on my 135gdt with 40g sump for over a year....zero issues,

Sicce was my 1st option. Then I realized DC pumps have super low wattage and can adjust flow.

Whipples

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct and I already placed an order for the Deepwater 5.
You had the first gen BLDC running external and not run same one submerged? How long have you had it and what model?

Not the OP, but I have been running the BLDC 8 submerged and have been 100% satisfied. Digital controller readout with pump RPM and watts being consumed, soft start, dry run protection (tested this in a bucket, worked really well), and 0-10V controllable. It doesn't vibrate in the sump and I never hear it on, ever. The new controller isn't shown in the pictures but Reefbuilders did an article on it and I can post mine if needed.

OP
OP
West1

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not the OP, but I have been running the BLDC 8 submerged and have been 100% satisfied. Digital controller readout with pump RPM and watts being consumed, soft start, dry run protection (tested this in a bucket, worked really well), and 0-10V controllable. It doesn't vibrate in the sump and I never hear it on, ever. The new controller isn't shown in the pictures but Reefbuilders did an article on it and I can post mine if needed.

Very nice! Is the new controller with all models or starting at a specific model?

Whipples

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the article, it did not mention specific pumps but referenced their whole line. I called Deepwater Aquatics to ask them about the contoller and they gave me the vendors who had the new controllers in stock (this was 4-5 months ago now) and if you order through Fragtastic Reef it gets drop-shipped from Deepwater Aquatics and is guaranteed to be the new version.

https://reefbuilders.com/2017/06/30...s-a-killer-new-controller-for-the-bldc-pump/#

HippieSmell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fluval Sea. Otherwise, a Sicce. They're reliable and that's the only thing a return pump MUST be. Don't mess with DC, just use a good gate valve.

OP
OP
West1

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Fluval Sea. Otherwise, a Sicce. They're reliable and that's the only thing a return pump MUST be. Don't mess with DC, just use a good gate valve.

Im on the DC bandwagon. I feel its similar to when LED's hit the market, many spoke out of fear but eventually the majority switched over :)

MaiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the SICCE 4 for 3 years then switched to the Jebao DCT 6000 for a year. I use it on very low so much lower wattage, but that being said the SICCE can be valved down and is my backup pump, but it is certainly louder than the Jebao. I also vote for Jebao as you could buy a back for the price of others.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 18 25.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back