looking for alternatives to reef nutrition products. their shipping costs is ......

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi David. I'm glad I'm on here so that I can address this.

Our shipping costs are high and we know it. We don't charge a handling fee or a box charge and it's still very high. These are actually the best rates we can get from FedEx based on our pick-up location and the fact that our products are perishable requiring special care. Due to all these factors we highly recommend that our customers buy our foods at their LFS. If that isn't an option, selling direct is. We have subscriptions that lower the shipping cost so that those that want our foods can buy them more affordably. Also, SaltwaterAquarium.com (https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/food/live-foods/reef-nutrition/) carries our products and they offer free shipping when you meet their minimum. They purchase from us quite often so they always have fresh product in stock. You could check them out if you would like to stick with our foods.

I hope this helps. By the way, we are a "mom and pop" operation. A husband and wife duo run the company. The owner's (Tim Reed) 90 year old dad and two children work here, as well.

I'd be more than happy to answer any of your questions, so feel free to post them here or message me.

Best,
Chad

Thanks for taking the time and addressing this transparently and openly! I appreciate it, and I'm sure others in the community do as well!

OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the info. you're doing well for a mom-and-pop place. I will check that website out and see if they have any items in stock. shipping is not my area of knowledge and I was truly curious as to why? thanks again. if I have to but direct I will

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Political references have been removed. Please stay on topic. Thanks.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Political references have been removed. Please stay on topic. Thanks.
B4403DC8-DA7E-4642-84B2-5BED33B29B89.gif

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy it at local LFSs, I find the retail markup here is reasonable

it’s one of the few things I buy at LFS (almost never livestock)… gives me a reason to go in and chat/support the place
Hope you can come by and see us at ReefStock Denver in a month!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All you need are clams, mussels or oysters. Very cheap. I buy them live and freeze them myself.

Never had to quarantine in almost 50 years. They are the best food there is. But what do I know? :rolleyes:

OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All you need are clams, mussels or oysters. Very cheap. I buy them live and freeze them myself.
I AGREE. I was pondering buying those or a combo of them, adding some liquid vitamins or supplements with, some reef roids or similar etc. throwing it all in the bowel and hitting it with an emulsion blender. maybe add some rodi water to reach a good thin yet thick slury.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are over thinking this. You don't need any vitamins or supplements unless you want to waste your money.

If you put shellfish in a blender you will be left with a slimy liquidy mess and will lose most of the shellfish as it will liquify.

Just freeze them and slice off paper thin slices or chop them. There will be plenty of "Clam juice" in there for the corals to eat.

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
consumer viewpoint:

I'm sure it's par for the course on shipping, but when the shipping costs for coral foods; is more than the cost to ship live animals (corals and fish); not to mention that the shipping cost of said food is higher than the food product itself...I have to call bs. or i would love to know how one place can ship overnight for say 30 and another ship overnight at 40..how is this possible?... if I understood this price swing I may change my tune.
im mean...what the heck... anyway.

What's a good equal for their products. or a DIY recipe for feeding corals.
The shipping rates from the carriers right now is hideously expensive. Even the commercial rates definitely exceed the cost of things like food and most livestock. There are tons of shipping calculators online where you can view the actual rates which could have prevented some inaccurate inferences of an excellent company.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are over thinking this. You don't need any vitamins or supplements unless you want to waste your money.
i want to auto-feed as I do currently with my oyster feast. I have a ddr in a mini-fridge that I feed using a dos pump........ I was doing as you said in the beginning, cutting, shaving, etc, and still do make my own fish food, sorry I was not clear. this DIY (coral only) mix im looking to find needs to be thin enough so that it can be pulled thru a rodi tubing. or i may just keep ordering the stuff and call it a day. I am pro automation.

Back