looking for alternatives to reef nutrition products. their shipping costs is ......

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
consumer viewpoint:

I'm sure it's par for the course on shipping, but when the shipping costs for coral foods; is more than the cost to ship live animals (corals and fish); not to mention that the shipping cost of said food is higher than the food product itself...I have to call bs. or i would love to know how one place can ship overnight for say 30 and another ship overnight at 40..how is this possible?... if I understood this price swing I may change my tune.
im mean...what the heck... anyway.

What's a good equal for their products. or a DIY recipe for feeding corals.

Last edited by a moderator:

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
consumer viewpoint:

I'm sure it's par for the course on shipping, , but when the shipping costs for coral foods; is more than the cost to ship live animals (corals and fish); not to mention that the shipping cost of said food is higher than the food product itself...I have to call bs. or i would love to know how one place can ship overnight for say 25 and another ship overnight at 40..how is this possible?... if I understood this price swing I may change my tune.
im mean...what the heck... anyway.

What's a good equal for their products. or a DIY recipe for feeding corals.

Shipping volume dictates price one retailer pays vs another. Some retailers pass on those savings others do not, or simply don't have the volume so they can't offer it for less. At least this is my experience with FedEx and my company.

One of our members at FedEx/UPS may have more insight.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the volume would be key true enough. that's what made me wonder. reef nutrition is no small mom pop place. (imo) its nuts for both consumers and biz owners.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the volume would be key true enough. that's what made me wonder. reef nutrition is no small mom pop place. (imo) its nuts for both consumers and biz owners.

I agree, I would think they have enough volume that they don't pay the standard advertised rate. Unsure of their exact location and proximity to a hub, maybe that plays a role as well?

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree though I looked at ordering some pods a few months ago when my LFS was out and I setting up another tank. When I saw the shipping I decided I'd wait. I bought 2 bottles when my LFS finally restocked.

1 for the tank, and the 2nd into a 5.5 gallon. I've got tons in that tank now and I've been pulling out ~gallon per week and pouring into my other tanks.

OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how much did you pay at your lfs for the stuff?

OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a friend of mine who is in sales. told me once that he adds a little to the shipping cost to cover the labor cost of packing and materials, and taking a package to the location for shipping, etc. but he was is a mom and pop place no big-name place. but still makes me wonder...

I'm in Tenn so i don't have a problem spending 20 in gas to drive to pick some up.. anyone in or around Tenn that sells reef nutrition . hate to cut my tank off but it will be ok if i do.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a friend of mine who is in sales. told me once that he adds a little to the shipping cost to cover the labor cost of packing and materials, and taking a package to the location for shipping, etc. but he was is a mom and pop place no big-name place. but still makes me wonder...

I'm in Tenn so i don't have a problem spending 20 in gas to drive to pick some up.. anyone in or around Tenn that sells reef nutrition . hate to cut my tank off but it will be ok if i do.

Where at about in TN, I was down there in October and I thought (could be mis-remembering) that

The Coral Reef
(865) 375-7135

Had Reef Nutrition products.

OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well i just entered my buddy's address that lives in Odessa texas and the price was still the same. LOL. DANG THAT WOULD HAVE MADE COMPLETE SENSE. LOL Im in nashville

minorhero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well i just entered my buddy's address that lives in Odessa texas and the price was still the same. LOL. DANG THAT WOULD HAVE MADE COMPLETE SENSE. LOL

Ah well, they are definitely padding it then. Cause shippers do charge more to send it farther there is no question of that. Assuming the place you are buying from is in texas.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well i just entered my buddy's address that lives in Odessa texas and the price was still the same. LOL. DANG THAT WOULD HAVE MADE COMPLETE SENSE. LOL Im in nashville

I didn't stop in the Nashville area, I was in Pigeon forge and tried stopping by Sustainable Aquatics on the way home, not knowing it was closed to the public....

I ended up finding The Coral Reef down the road from them.

That was the extent of my LFS exploration for that trip..

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nashville that place may be drivable

Wasn't a bad store from my quick stop, after the bust at SA the rest of the car wasn't thrilled about another stop, so it was short lived...

I'd stop again and try to spend some time checking it all out on my next trip that way.

OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, I did play with a few more addresses on the website and I got the shipping down to 30 using a new Mexico address. i mean they are neighbors. I DONT KNOW IT SUCKS.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, I did play with a few more addresses on the website and I got the shipping down to 30 using a new Mexico address. i mean they are neighbors. I DONT KNOW IT SUCKS.

I think this is why my LFS orders a bunch about every 2 months and not on a regular weekly or bi weekly basis!

OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SO
FROM Florida to
gallup, New Mexico, United States
FedEx Priority Overnight $ 29.99

FROM Florida to
Nashville ,tn United States
FedEx Priority Overnight $ 29.99

FROM cally to
gallup, New Mexico,
2 day flat rate $ 27.50

FROM calley to
Nashville ,tn United States
2 day flat rate $ 38.50

i dont know who they are using but they need to switch.. lol

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi David. I'm glad I'm on here so that I can address this.

Our shipping costs are high and we know it. We don't charge a handling fee or a box charge and it's still very high. These are actually the best rates we can get from FedEx based on our pick-up location and the fact that our products are perishable requiring special care. Due to all these factors we highly recommend that our customers buy our foods at their LFS. If that isn't an option, selling direct is. We have subscriptions that lower the shipping cost so that those that want our foods can buy them more affordably. Also, SaltwaterAquarium.com (https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/food/live-foods/reef-nutrition/) carries our products and they offer free shipping when you meet their minimum. They purchase from us quite often so they always have fresh product in stock. You could check them out if you would like to stick with our foods.

I hope this helps. By the way, we are a "mom and pop" operation. A husband and wife duo run the company. The owner's (Tim Reed) 90 year old dad and two children work here, as well.

I'd be more than happy to answer any of your questions, so feel free to post them here or message me.

Best,
Chad

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back