Looking for checklist for new tank setup

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Experts, Been running a 3ft mixed reef tank for over 5 years now and my wife approved for us to go for a bigger 5ft tank ;) as many of our fishes are becoming too big for our existing tank... we are possibly looking at a RedSea Reefer XL 525 which is a 409L (108G) Display and 525L (139G) Total tank volume.

The plan is to make the 3ft to be more a coral dominant tank and the 5ft for mainly fish with selective corals... was wondering if anyone could point me to a good checklist (covering general guidelines, equipment, setup, maintenance, etc.) to leverage as I start the process.

Any other suggestions and recommendations are very much welcome. Thank you very much.

HD_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out my build thread....

Gort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HD_Reefer - nice cruiser in your profile pic! Which Harley is it?
Also - great build thread - I may pirate some of your equipment suggestions.

Gort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HD_Reefer - are you still happy with your ATO system? I was considering that one, but got scared a bit by some of the negative reviews. I'm targeting a Tunze Osmolator for my build.

OP
OP
ssunthar

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you very much... learned tons from your build thread. Thank.

OP
OP
ssunthar

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hi HD_Reefer

Progressed from the last time we chatted... I bought a custom built 5ft tank. I am a few days into cycling the new tank and recalled some of your tips from your build thread regarding the parameters. Surprisingly mine look a little different and wanted to get your view on it if you don't mind.

Please see attached...
Table.jpg
Chart.jpg

Does these numbers look OK to you? Thanks in advance.

HD_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using to cycle? live rock or bottled bacteria? what is your ammonia source? What test kit are you using for ammonia, nitrite & nitrate?

OP
OP
ssunthar

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using to cycle? live rock or bottled bacteria? what is your ammonia source? What test kit are you using for ammonia, nitrite & nitrate?
I am using bottled API Quick Start & Seachem, not using any specific ammonia source, only small amount of fish food. For testing I am mainly using API test kits, except for Calcium and Magnesium i am using Salifert. Thanks.

Last edited:

HD_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using bottled API Quick Start & Seachem, not using any specific ammonia source, only small amount of fish food. For testing I am mainly using API test kits, except for Calcium and Magnesium i am using Salifert. Thanks.
The bacteria need ammonia to consume in order to survive / multiply. You can add a couple hardy clownfish or do a fishless cycle with Dr. Tims or something similar.

The API tests will give you varying results...I would switch to RedSea personally. API will get your through the cycle, but if you plan to track it closely, it's not going to be your friend. I used API for my cycle several times, so if definitely works, but it's not spot on accurate.

OP
OP
ssunthar

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bacteria need ammonia to consume in order to survive / multiply. You can add a couple hardy clownfish or do a fishless cycle with Dr. Tims or something similar.

The API tests will give you varying results...I would switch to RedSea personally. API will get your through the cycle, but if you plan to track it closely, it's not going to be your friend. I used API for my cycle several times, so if definitely works, but it's not spot on accurate.
Thank you very much for the recommendations... much appreciated.

OP
OP
ssunthar

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hi HD_Reefer,

I followed your suggestions and after day 9 into the cycle this is where I am at...

I am doing fishless cycle using DrTim's ammonium chloride and Prodibio BioDigest. I am still using API test kits (still a little more to go) once finished I am going to use Red Sea's test kit (which I already bought)..

Table.png

Chart.png

May I trouble you to see if the progress seems OK to you? Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
ssunthar

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @HD_Reefer,

A few more items I would like to check as well... assuming the cycle is fine and if I want to start to intro some fish and CUC...:
1. when can I start with active carbon and protein skimmer?
2. Any suggestions on what type of fish i should start with?
3. Any suggestions on what type of CUC i should start with?
4. Not a directly related question to the above... do you normally quarantine CUC? If yes can share a little more details? Or how do you clean CUC before intro them into DT?

Anything else that I need to be aware or take note?

Hope I am not asking too much... Thanks.

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back