looking for cool micro fauna !?

shcrimps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
new to R2R (don’t be mad if i post this in the wrong section i’m not sure how to use this yet)

i’m looking for places/people i can order cool micro fauna from,, been looking for tanaids, mysid/mysis shrimp, and other cool micro inverts

anyone know where i can get some (specifically tanaids) my tanks got a good population but i love having different kinds of little bugs running around, thanks !

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
new to R2R (don’t be mad if i post this in the wrong section i’m not sure how to use this yet)

i’m looking for places/people i can order cool micro fauna from,, been looking for tanaids, mysid/mysis shrimp, and other cool micro inverts

anyone know where i can get some (specifically tanaids) my tanks got a good population but i love having different kinds of little bugs running around, thanks !
I haven't seen any places selling tanaids, so you might need to ask around on the forum here and see if anyone has them in their tank and would be willing to give you some (they're not super common, so you may need to post pics of some examples for people to know what you're talking about).

For mysis/mysid shrimp, everywhere I've heard of people actually ordering them from has stopped selling them/lists them as out of stock, but there are a few sites (typically professional water testing company sites, like the one linked below) that sell them. Since I don't know of anyone who has ordered from them, I can't vouch for them (or even confirm they still offer the mysis shrimp), but you can try them:

Other than that, maybe skeleton shrimp (these are long but thin), flatback mud crabs (these stay less than 3/4" carapace width - you can buy these and the skeleton shrimp), or sphaeromatid isopods (you'd need to ask around for these)?

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Edit: Two more sites that sell mysid shrimp that I haven't heard of anyone ordering from (I forgot I had these saved in a different folder) -

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

shcrimps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't seen any places selling tanaids, so you might need to ask around on the forum here and see if anyone has them in their tank and would be willing to give you some (they're not super common, so you may need to post pics of some examples for people to know what you're talking about).

For mysis/mysid shrimp, everywhere I've heard of people actually ordering them from has stopped selling them/lists them as out of stock, but there are a few sites (typically professional water testing company sites, like the one linked below) that sell them. Since I don't know of anyone who has ordered from them, I can't vouch for them (or even confirm they still offer the mysis shrimp), but you can try them:

Other than that, maybe skeleton shrimp (these are long but thin), flatback mud crabs (these stay less than 3/4" carapace width - you can buy these and the skeleton shrimp), or sphaeromatid isopods (you'd need to ask around for these)?

Welcome to Reef2Reef!
thank you!!
here’s a couple example pictures
in the off chance somebody actually has some
86FDEEFC-98A2-4209-A321-3A74C200F034.jpeg
425ADD85-D476-4489-A2A2-9E1585B4C44A.jpeg

i love inverts but shrimp are definitely my favorites

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe start with live ocean sand...i think Tampa bay saltwater sells it...it's gotta be teeming with Microfauna!

OP
OP
S

shcrimps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe start with live ocean sand...i think Tampa bay saltwater sells it...it's gotta be teeming with Microfauna!
ohhhh that’s a good idea i’m definitely gonna get some/ maybe some of that aussie/ or florida mericulture live rock too (i’ll QT though)

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 7 6.8%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 82 79.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.9%
Back