Looking for energy efficient return pump

Salty_Box_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running a ehiem return. Not sure what model but it's several years old, a little loud and I'd like to have a backup return so I figured I would upgrade. I would also like to cut back on some of the energy consumption so I'm wondering what return would offer the best performance for a 120g tank with a single 3/4" return with split lock line into the tank?

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there's something loud about an Eheim return, then something is wrong with the installation or it's broken (as in, it can most likely be fixed). And if it can be fixed, it really should be.....Eheim is still the best pump on the market, all things consdered.

What model do you have and what's it doing exactly (if you don't mind)?

BTW, saving a few watts on a return pump isn't going to change your power bill, BTW...the heaters will just run a little more, a little longer to compensate for the lower heat-input to the tank.

Quiet One 2200 or 3000 would be my first two alternate-pump options....made in China, but very fair price and excellent warranty and company. Sicce's Synca or Syncra Pro line would be my other go-to. The Pro line is their most-silent...same design as the Quiet One's, but made in Italy. An equivalent Mag would also be great, but it might make your heaters run a little less instead of a little more. :)

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 38 28.4%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 36 26.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back