Looking for good working fish

RyanSweet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75gal mixed reef (mostly LPS - meat coral, plates, euphyllia, etc) and I am looking for a good algae eating fish. I don't have serious issues with algae, just the occasional patch here and there. I know that tangs work for short term employment, if you will, but I'd like something that would be a longstanding member of the tank.

I have 2 mocha midnight clowns with a rainbow BTA, 1 blue sided wrasse, 1 pajama cardinal (super old and I'm surprised he's still around), 1 engineer goby, and for the time being a kole tang that has become somewhat of a bully and imo has outgrown the environment.

I do have a decent cleanup crew of appx 12 trochus, 2 mexican turbos, 2 fighting conch, and ceriths that I can't count.

Any suggestions for good worker fish? Doesn't HAVE to be a gorgeous fish, but if it is I could pass it to my wife as a more realistic purchase. Price isn't really an issue either (as long as the wife signs off).

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend a lawnmower blenny for the following reasons:
- Very inexpensive
- Incredibly efficient - my even eats cyanobacteria
- Awesome fish - always out in the open and nibbling on something on the rocks
- You don't have to feed, mine eats whatever

OP
OP
RyanSweet

RyanSweet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend a lawnmower blenny for the following reasons:
- Very inexpensive
- Incredibly efficient - my even eats cyanobacteria
- Awesome fish - always out in the open and nibbling on something on the rocks
- You don't have to feed, mine eats whatever

I have experience with the lawnmower and starry blenny's. They do well, but (at least for me) have become more carnivorous over the years and stop consuming algae unless I starve the rest of the tank by not feeding. I'll look at them again and see what options there are. I did love my starry blenny.

Yellow Eye Kole Tang?

This is what I have now. It worked great until a few months ago when I started noticing aggression towards the other fish and anything I try to add new, including shrimp, snails, pom pom crabs, and even nipping some sps I've added.

wattson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Molly Miller blenny,,a very hard worker ..I keep three in my tank with no aggression issues ..
Do a search on line and you will like what you read ..

OP
OP
RyanSweet

RyanSweet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Molly Miller blenny,,a very hard worker ..I keep three in my tank with no aggression issues ..
Do a search on line and you will like what you read ..

This little guy is definitely worth a try. Very cool writeup on advancedaquarist.com (https://www.advancedaquarist.com/2012/9/fish) and it seems that they can be housed with multiples in the same tank. Looks like this may be a winner. Time to reach out to my LFS.

Lukejstn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diamond Goby is amazing at cleaning up your sand bed. I've had a couple but be careful they are jumpers.

OP
OP
RyanSweet

RyanSweet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diamond Goby is amazing at cleaning up your sand bed. I've had a couple but be careful they are jumpers.

Are these guys a little more for detritus and less for algae? I do like the look of them, so I'll look into them as a long term solution as well.

My yellow, purple, and blonde naso tank along with my gold spot rabbit take care of that.

??? Not sure how this helps me at all. But congrats on the collection for yourself.

Denisk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lawnmower blenny is a good one.

My foxface and tangs are always working. The foxface can be a hit or a miss because mine is a Monti cap eater :( However I don’t mine as it keeps the Monti in check. Haha

If you do go with a small tang. Please upgrade your tank in the future or replace it to a smaller one as it grows. ;)

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kole tang is the hardest working fish in the hobby.

Non stop grazing of the rocks, the glass, the bottom, snail shells, etc. Even eats other fish's poop as soon as it enters the water. Great fish.

Lukejstn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are these guys a little more for detritus and less for algae? I do like the look of them, so I'll look into them as a long term solution as well.

I had a cyano algae outbreak and this guy destroyed it in a couple hours.

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plain ol yellow tang is a hard worker. One of the better coral stores I go to uses them in their frag/coral tanks and they are very algae clean.

Like any fish though, if you over feed your tank they will not graze as much.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not try one of these. They swim like fish and tend to stay out in front of the rocks. Whatever algae they don't eat, grows on their back

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back