Looking for help with lighting.

Soup Sandwich

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I am looking for some advice for lighting my new reef tank. The tank is 60”x24”x24” and will have ‘clear’ mesh tops.

I have a 10g nano reef that I will be breaking down and putting its contents in the 150g. The 10g has an AI Prime 16HD.

I am hoping to be able to use the one AI prime on the 150g to start, and add more in the future. Would 3-4 AI Prime 16HDs be enough light for the 150g? Or would I be better off to sell the light I have now and put it towards a different light? I plan to do a mixture of SPS and LPS.

I appreciate any and all feedback.

Thank you!

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd consider keeping the small tank and light as a back up and/or quarantine tank.

You could do 4 or 5 AI fixtures, but how would you mount them all?

I'd consider a Reef Breeders Photon V2+ in the 48" version. It's a great fixture for use with lps and sps corals. Lots of 5 watt leds make it very powerful, it's the best value in a full feature led and they have a good sponsor forum here at R2R.

OP
OP
S

Soup Sandwich

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd consider keeping the small tank and light as a back up and/or quarantine tank.

You could do 4 or 5 AI fixtures, but how would you mount them all?

I'd consider a Reef Breeders Photon V2+ in the 48" version. It's a great fixture for use with lps and sps corals. Lots of 5 watt leds make it very powerful, it's the best value in a full feature led and they have a good sponsor forum here at R2R.
Hey Ron, thanks for your feedback. I made my tank custom out of acrylic and it has a 4” perimeter brace around the top and a 6” brace down the center, so regardless of which light(s) I use I will be required to hang from the ceiling.
I will look into the photon v2+, however I was hoping to do the big tank in stages to avoid such a high initial cost. That’s why I was hoping to add more of what I have over time.

Ricksreeefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for this! I watched this last night. I was hoping to get some input from those who have tried it out. I may just rent the PAR meter once I have everything running and check it for myself.
Oh ok I personally don’t tried these on my bigger tank but I do have one on my smaller tank that works well.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back