Looking for ID. What is this tiny shelled(?) Critter?

VibingOctopus

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
May 4, 2026
Messages
44
Reaction score
19
Location
Netherlands
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this tiny critter today, it loves crawling around on the airstone in my pico tank. I saw it fall down and it started crawling back up, that’s the only reason why I noticed it.
It appears to have a shell of some sort, and seems to have a minimum of 3 black appendages at the front that it is using to either feel or crawl around. Doesn’t seem like a snail to me in movement and no foot visable at the back. Incredibly tiny, it is crawling on a small airstone for comparison, the sand granules visible in the video is fine sand.

It was really difficult to capture so my apologies for quality. It is unlikely I will see this tiny lil guy again, but if I do I’ll attempt to capture it for closeups with better lighting
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2456.mov
    61.4 MB
  • IMG_2451.mov
    103.9 MB
Last edited:
Oh! Yes, that does look very likely! Especially with the little crawly legs in that video look similar.

Thanks!
 
I can’t seem to edit to remove the “unanswered” tag.
If someone has a more specific ID on species or diet that is always welcome, although unlikely with this quality footage.
 
Confirmed it’s an ostracod! specifics unknown



IMG_2487.jpeg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 23.8%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new