Looking for input on a very non-traditional startup for a tank

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last time I was able to have a tank was back when wet-dry filtration was just coming on the scene. I now have a home and a brand new 75 gallon tank sitting in the garage (only until I can get/build a stand for it). I've read tons on here and watched a lot of videos (including BRS, which are great videos), but after all the research I decided I want this to be an experimental tank. I eventually plan to have a ~300 gallon tank, so this is to keep my brain distracted until I can get the $$ for the big one :D

I read a lot of stuff by sixty_reefer and have decided I'd like to try starting a tank with phytoplankton and other critters during the cycling. As I understand it, his tank was converted after being an already established aquarium, but I'd like to try to start a tank that way. The goal being to have the phtyo using up the nitrates/phosphates as they develop. If I knew how I'd ping him to get him in on this conversation as well.

Right now I haven't made any particular decisions about tank layout. I'm not up to date on types of overflows or if I should get a diamond bit a drill it (and if I should drill the back and so on). So I'm open to any suggestions. My thought is that if it's to be an experiment, let's make it a community one and just see what works and doesn't. I plan to document, and hopefully get pictures or video of the entire process for a build thread.

OP
OP
kdx7214

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still considering a fuge with chaeto, but if the phyto stuff works probably won't need it. Ideally I'd like to be able to feed Nanno, Tetraselmis, Isochrysis, and possibly Thalassiosira (if I can get enough silica in the water). From there I'd also like to culture some rotifers of various types. Basically, I'm looking at building 6-8 things to grow stuff in and then dose them to the tank with a dosing pump.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my marco rock in tubs with take-out rotifer culture water. Since I had not set up the tank yet it was a good place to put it. I figured the more the diversity the better.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitetly use maricultured live rock. (See Aquabiomics article here.) Similar to Lapin's method above I typically add dry rock along with the live rock I'm quarantining to help get additional sponges and microbial stuff started on the dry rock. I'lll also add hermits, Sally Lightfoot crabs and urchins once the ammonia spike (if any) has dropped. Keep in mind corals are also using nitrogen and phosphorus and will be competeing for it so I wouldn't strive to zero out the numbers.

OP
OP
kdx7214

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My initial thoughts were to get the cycle started with some dry rock, and then go to LFS in St. Louis or Kansas City and buy small 1-2 pound pieces of live rock. If I get several they should provide the diversity that I'm looking for without the enormous cost of large pieces of live rock.

Right now I imagine I would start the phyto/roti routine when I add the first piece of LR. It'll take a few days to get a good phyto/roti culture going anyway. Once everything is well established I might work on a live brine shrimp hatchery just for kicks.

I wasn't going to worry about corals and focus on sponges and the like, but I might get hitchhikers so will need to rethink that. I'd love to be able to keep anything that comes in on the LR alive, except maybe a mantis shrimp :D

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But mantis shrimp are cool! Check to see about getting a small amount of live rock shipped to you but any amount should help get sponges and some of the other stuff that's beneficial started in your system. Look for yellow, white and orange or pink on the dark sides of the live rocks if you go to an LFS to get just a small amount.

OP
OP
kdx7214

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hehe, I thought mantis shrimps were cool up until the point one broke the glass on my 40H reef. Now they're still cool, but not something I want to get my thumb ripped open for :D

I'm trying to decide if I want to get LR small pieces from various sources (e.g. Florida, Indonesia, etc...) for some variety or if I should try to stick to one region. Both have good and bad points.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sad, no sense of adventure! :D

I'd say the deciding factor on using one source or using multiple sources would be ease and cost of getting it. I've always been happy with maricultured rock from Florida .

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in England, if I was in the States and starting up I would also buy maricultured Florida lr, all sorts of goodies as well as the odd pest and a mantis would be cool! ;)

Back