Looking for advice, starting back up.

Buford25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After being out of the Hobby for a few years (moving and Covid shutting the world down… insert eye roll here lol) I am planning on setting my tank back up. I’ve only been out of the hobby a few years but it seems that so much has changed in such a short period of time.

I have a Fluval Evo 13.5 that was only set up for about 8 months before having to tear down for our move. That is the tank I want to set back up. It has been stored in the crawl space of my garage since then. I will be doing a leak test on it before setting it back up. My goal is for 2 clownfish and a shrimp or two, adding basic corals as time progresses and the tank establishes. Zoa’s and Acans. I would like to upgrade the tank a bit.

My plan is as follows

• Fluval 13.5
  • Ai blade coral grow 12 inch
  • Sicce 1.0 return
  • Random flow generator nozzles
  • 75 watt heater on an ink bird controller
  • Filter basket to include sponge filter, bio media and carbon.
  • AI Nero 3 powerhead
  • Adding an ato after some time passes.

I’ve been checking out some local fish stores to pick people brains. Today I was given the following “advice” (I use that word lightly as it has been completely different from what I’ve been researching) that the Fluval is not a good tank, not only in terms of what I’m looking to do but also in general as a salt water tank. That it won’t last. Even though that’s what it is marketed as. It is not a good size for two clownfish and a shrimp and that I could get away with maybe one with a shrimp. I asked if the Nero 3 would be a good powerhead for that application and was told it was way too strong and any powerhead would be overkill.

Does this sound right? Anyone with any experience on this application or using these products. I know I’ve been out of the hobby for awhile but this seems odd..

I do not want to start a large tank like I have had in the past, 90 gallon plus. I really want to stick with a small desk side tank that I can enjoy while I’m working. Then, if I decide to go bigger I can keep that one and get another bigger tank for the basement. Don’t tell my wife!! lol.

I appreciate the knowledge in advance!

coralboi56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After being out of the Hobby for a few years (moving and Covid shutting the world down… insert eye roll here lol) I am planning on setting my tank back up. I’ve only been out of the hobby a few years but it seems that so much has changed in such a short period of time.

I have a Fluval Evo 13.5 that was only set up for about 8 months before having to tear down for our move. That is the tank I want to set back up. It has been stored in the crawl space of my garage since then. I will be doing a leak test on it before setting it back up. My goal is for 2 clownfish and a shrimp or two, adding basic corals as time progresses and the tank establishes. Zoa’s and Acans. I would like to upgrade the tank a bit.

My plan is as follows

• Fluval 13.5
  • Ai blade coral grow 12 inch
  • Sicce 1.0 return
  • Random flow generator nozzles
  • 75 watt heater on an ink bird controller
  • Filter basket to include sponge filter, bio media and carbon.
  • AI Nero 3 powerhead
  • Adding an ato after some time passes.

I’ve been checking out some local fish stores to pick people brains. Today I was given the following “advice” (I use that word lightly as it has been completely different from what I’ve been researching) that the Fluval is not a good tank, not only in terms of what I’m looking to do but also in general as a salt water tank. That it won’t last. Even though that’s what it is marketed as. It is not a good size for two clownfish and a shrimp and that I could get away with maybe one with a shrimp. I asked if the Nero 3 would be a good powerhead for that application and was told it was way too strong and any powerhead would be overkill.

Does this sound right? Anyone with any experience on this application or using these products. I know I’ve been out of the hobby for awhile but this seems odd..

I do not want to start a large tank like I have had in the past, 90 gallon plus. I really want to stick with a small desk side tank that I can enjoy while I’m working. Then, if I decide to go bigger I can keep that one and get another bigger tank for the basement. Don’t tell my wife!! lol.

I appreciate the knowledge in advance!
me reading this as I have a Nero 3 on a 7.4g tank :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Yes, the fluval 13.5 is a very popular first saltwater tank, and I've never heard of complaints against it. I keep 2 clowns in my 7.4 and plan to add a shrimp. That being said, you should probably only do 1 shrimp in the 13g. There's really no need for a second one.

The Nero 3 is a great powerhead for that size tank. It's easily controllable and can be tuned as necessary. I run mine on a max of 35% in my 7.4g. Depending on your rock scape, you would need to run different strength.

The AI Blade is also a great choice for the tank

OP
OP
Buford25

Buford25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
me reading this as I have a Nero 3 on a 7.4g tank :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Yes, the fluval 13.5 is a very popular first saltwater tank, and I've never heard of complaints against it. I keep 2 clowns in my 7.4 and plan to add a shrimp. That being said, you should probably only do 1 shrimp in the 13g. There's really no need for a second one.

The Nero 3 is a great powerhead for that size tank. It's easily controllable and can be tuned as necessary. I run mine on a max of 35% in my 7.4g. Depending on your rock scape, you would need to run different strength.

The AI Blade is also a great choice for the tank

That is right in line what I’ve been reading doing my research.

I want to say that store was trying to just sell a tank.

Thank you for the input! I’m very excited to get this back up and running and back in the hobby. I really think this tank with these upgrades is going to be perfect for what I’m trying to do!

coralboi56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is right in line what I’ve been reading doing my research.

I want to say that store was trying to just sell a tank.

Thank you for the input! I’m very excited to get this back up and running and back in the hobby. I really think this tank with these upgrades is going to be perfect for what I’m trying to do!
Maybe true for the tank, but the store also could've been trying to save you money on the Nero 3.

Tbh, the Nero 3 is usually bought by more experienced aquarists, and you typically don't see them on true nano tanks, so they were probably trying to steer you towards a more affordable option. But the Nero 3 is a great powerhead!

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have room the little hygger powerhead are great. You can put them on opposite ends and have true randomized flow in the aquarium
Screenshot_2024-03-02-16-05-50-62_b5f6883d2c20a96c53babc0b4ac88108.jpg

coralboi56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have room the little hygger powerhead are great. You can put them on opposite ends and have true randomized flow in the aquarium
I've used Hygger minis in plenty of 15g and under tanks. While they are good, they're just not as adjustable as Neros or MPs (DO NOT DO mps in anything less than 30g :grinning-face-with-sweat:)

You can't tune exact percentages, which can kind of create a disadvantage if you still feel the flow is too strong on a level 1 setting.

OP
OP
Buford25

Buford25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im going to look into all options and suggestions. I like the controllability factor with the power heads. This one also looks pretty sleek/slim which I like. I like when everything looks nice and tidy!

Thanks for the input!

Everclear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're still looking into powerheads or wave makers I've heard good things about the Jebao wavemakers. I'm contemplating the SLW-10 for my upcoming biocube 32. They seem comparable to the neros but less than half the price.

CKW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see where you’re planning on clowns. Be wary of them. They can and most likely will grow to be bullies. A three inch clown will try to bully any fish in a small tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back