Been a few years but I’m back

mraysberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been a couple of years now since my tank crashed. Thinking about starting my fluval evo 13.5 back up. Have another tank much bigger but I don’t think I’m there yet. Just want to do something small still I have my feet back under me with this whole reef aquarium again. Are there any new things I can get for this tank that maybe someone would recommend? Currently I have the tank, Nero 5(overkill I think), ai prime hd, fluval evo protein skimmer, cobalt heater and forgot but I upgraded the pump before. Any suggestions would be a big help on trying to set it up again

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It’s been a couple of years now since my tank crashed. Thinking about starting my fluval evo 13.5 back up. Have another tank much bigger but I don’t think I’m there yet. Just want to do something small still I have my feet back under me with this whole reef aquarium again. Are there any new things I can get for this tank that maybe someone would recommend? Currently I have the tank, Nero 5(overkill I think), ai prime hd, fluval evo protein skimmer, cobalt heater and forgot but I upgraded the pump before. Any suggestions would be a big help on trying to set it up again
test your equipment for operation and assure you are not utilizing anything expired. Start with live rock and addition of liquid bacteria such as Microbacter XLM and Use Reliable test kits

OP
OP
M

mraysberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
test your equipment for operation and assure you are not utilizing anything expired. Start with live rock and addition of liquid bacteria such as Microbacter XLM and Use Reliable test kits
Totally forgot but smart move I should check everything out just in case. Forgot but what’s a good temp for reef and also salinity for water

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Totally forgot but smart move I should check everything out just in case. Forgot but what’s a good temp for reef and also salinity for water
77-79 deg and 1.024-1.026

OP
OP
M

mraysberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
running the heater over night to see if it works but all other equipment if running

OP
OP
M

mraysberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ended up going with a Caribsea reef sand instead of Fiji pink so I don’t have it blowing everywhere. Got some rock and rodi water. When do you guys think I should add carbon, media and floss?

Digimes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you have a solid start. Use some good sand and live rock. Preferred than dosing chemicals but keep it simple and build it up slow.

Attachments

• 20230916_145358_0000.png
    20230916_145358_0000.png
    39.7 KB · Views: 9

Digimes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ended up going with a Caribsea reef sand instead of Fiji pink so I don’t have it blowing everywhere. Got some rock and rodi water. When do you guys think I should add carbon, media and floss?
I ran carbon, media and floss from the get go but not a skimmer. Leave the lights off for 30 days.

OP
OP
M

mraysberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more question stand is a little wobbly since floor isn’t perfect. Haven’t filed tank yet. Should I fill it first or try and level it out? What would you suggest to level it out with?

OP
OP
M

mraysberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this stand at my local fish store. Added sand, rock(want one more piece for the arch), cobalt heater, pump, Nero wave maker just to circulate it a bit more than the pump does. I think I’m good till it cycles. Will add light, carbon, media and floss when the cycle has finished.

LandLockedJones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you end up figuring out how to level it? Composite wedge shims are pretty nice. You just shove it under the side with the gap and then it lift up on them and it breaks off clean.

Looks good so far!

OP
OP
M

mraysberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you end up figuring out how to level it? Composite wedge shims are pretty nice. You just shove it under the side with the gap and then it lift up on them and it breaks off clean.

Looks good so far!
I ended up getting composite shims and worked wonders. Got it as level is I thought would be fine. Now just cycling the tank. Debating on adding beneficial bacteria or just let it run its course with nothing at all.

OP
OP
M

mraysberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a little update been running tests after adding Fritz zyme 9. Ammonia .50ppm, nitrite .50-1.0ppm, and nitrite 10ppm. We are getting there slowly but surely.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back