Fluval evo Filtration

FrostyWriter021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fluval evo evo 13.5 gallon and it's my first reef, looking back I should have waited and got a job and at least a 30-gallon before starting. I am looking for the best filtration system, I had bought a protein skimmer but it was a bio cube one and it was recommended by the local store and I didn't think and it don't fit in the back chamber. I have ceramic bio balls or whatever in the back and I use filter floss. I have bought Chemi Elite for phosphate but it's quite expensive for someone who don't have a job so I am looking for any recommendations as to what to do with filtration. I haven't tested parameters much either such as cal, mag or alk. I have been trying different salts and rightt now I am on tropic marin but I am also heard of people saying to use reef crystal but I ain't sure.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should first test your water to determine if what you have right now works. With a small bioload, filter floss and sponges will be enough. Especially if you do weekly water changes, which is easy to do in a small tank.

Many people don’t need to use a skimmer in those small tanks.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think the Fluval Evo tanks are great, the 5 gallon version was my first saltwater tank. As said above, if you keep your bioload low and do weekly water changes you should be fine and can skip the skimmer.

That said, In-Tank makes some cool media baskets that can help with directing flow and organizing media:

If you are looking for cheap carbon options you can get hang on back filter replacement bags. Here is a pack of three for like six bucks:

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back