Fluval 3.0 vs AI blade glow

ehull71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm trying to decide between the fluval 3.0 or AI blade for my 13.5 evo I see that both will fit existing hood with some help and just not sure which one to go with
Any suggestions the tank will have LPS and softies and a few fish not much just enough for my 10 year old to learn
Just don't like the stock light lack of control

Royal_pudding

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had both. Depending on the height of the tank the fluval might not be powerful enough even for LPS. That being said, spectrum wise the fluval has way more options.
Also, the Blade glow does not have any white diodes, the Blade grow does.

shrimpnreefdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had both. Depending on the height of the tank the fluval might not be powerful enough even for LPS. That being said, spectrum wise the fluval has way more options.
Also, the Blade glow does not have any white diodes, the Blade grow does.
I currently have the Fluval nano on my evo 13.5, since my stock light went out, and I was in a pinch. I really like the quality of the spectrum it's putting out. I can only assume the 3.0 is the same type of diodes this one has. Quick and intuitive app to make changes too.

Unfortunately, the nano lights spread is not wide enough. This would be perfect for a square tank. It is pretty bright and if the rock work was done right, would get close to corner to corner coverage in a smaller square tank.

I'm not stuck on brand recognition either. I also don't necessarily want the stock lid back on it either.

Any other lights you think would be a good choice?

1000009284.jpg

liddojunior

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ai blade for sure

Don’t get the noopsyche lights. They are just black box lights, you get what you pay for..sure they work but you won’t get the support like you would from Ai

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My concern would be a narrow coverage. Also, you mentioned 90w, but I'm only seeing a 60w and the big brother version for larger tanks.
very strange, I do have the 90w over my 20 gallon. I didn't know they don't have them. Maybe @Zach B can help you out. And I don't think they are like the black box lights on Amazon or Alibaba, very far from it to be honest.

shrimpnreefdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm trying to decide between the fluval 3.0 or AI blade for my 13.5 evo I see that both will fit existing hood with some help and just not sure which one to go with
Any suggestions the tank will have LPS and softies and a few fish not much just enough for my 10 year old to learn
Just don't like the stock light lack of control
What did you end up deciding on? I also didn't mean to hijack your thread.

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Ai blade for sure

Don’t get the noopsyche lights. They are just black box lights, you get what you pay for..sure they work but you won’t get the support like you would from Ai
We have a 2 year warranty & I've always offered refunds or exchanges to everyone if they encounter an issue. We are working on better tech support as well. Just wanted that part to be clear :)

shrimpnreefdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a 2 year warranty & I've always offered refunds or exchanges to everyone if they encounter an issue. We are working on better tech support as well. Just wanted that part to be clear :)
Does the arm for 60w light, extend far enough for a longer tank like the 13.5gal? Or is it designed more for a square style tank?

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Does the arm for 60w light, extend far enough for a longer tank like the 13.5gal? Or is it designed more for a square style tank?
From what I've seen it doesn't go out too far but I don't run any minis. Maybe someone can answer this better

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, with the Blade (Grow). you get 3 colors of LEDs in the fixture. The Fluval 3.0 has 7 different colors of LEDs in the fixture. So, just from a color/spectrum standpoint, the Fluval light is "better", has a wider blue band and is more tunable. If you add in a second Blade (Glow), the spectrum gets wider, but the cost grows exponentially as well.

The Blade probably does win on output (PAR/wattage). The Fluval strips have a LOT of white diodes that most people will only use a fraction of, so there's a lot of power "left on the table". Now, in a small tank, you might not need it anyway, but it's important to note.

Spread is probably the same-ish. Both advertise 120 degrees of coverage.

I ran a Nano 3.0 on a small tank for quite a while, and I actually liked it a lot. I only switched from it because I needed more PAR and I didn't have the option of adding a second light on that tank. I did like it so much that I'm considering running the strips on a new, different tank, and just adding multiples if I can't meet my PAR goals with a single one.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 59 73.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back