Looking for Lights for my 29 Gallon Biocube

rosetc16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered a 29 gallon biocube and from what I'm reading, I need to upgrade my lights from the factory lights to more powerful LED if I want my corals to be successful. Please give me some ideas since I'm brand new to this hobby. I am a college student so money is kinda tight and I'm still trying to stock my tank. Please let me know some good options! Thank you!

Mustang Man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you are new I would stick with the stock lighting for now, it is good enough for softies and easier LPS. Once you get more into the hobby and get some more experince then I would upgrade lighting as you find out what you want to keep and get a good grasp of what is necessary for each corals etc.

Dr.Reefgood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Mustang Man. Get it set up let it run for some months. Get a feel for your tank and read more and more of the corals you really want. Start out with some zoas and softies and some easy care LPS. Try to be patient,though it can be hard. Learn how to master your water chemistry. After you start with some corals and feel you have a grasp on things you can find some quality Lights under $200 in my opinion. I purchased an Ocean Revive T247 led for $160 few months back and have been so happy with them. Better than a more expensive LED i bought when i first started with coral, and i like the intensity and dimmer control over my 6 bulb T5's. Good luck with all your future reefing.

OceanRevive

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the above posts.

But just to be sure, what are the specs on the fixture that came with the tank? Why do you think you need to upgrade them? Don't do it because somebody told you to, do it because you know what you have now, have learned what you need and then make the decision for yourself. It's been said a billion times and new reefers never seem to hear it; nothing good happens quikly in an aquarium. Take your time!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back