Looking For Opinons On New Tank

  • Thread starter Thread starter azreef729
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

azreef729

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 19, 2025
Messages
185
Reaction score
221
Location
AZ
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking at purchasing a new 40-65 gal tank and looking for some suggestion on which brands to check out and what I should look for in the new tank including lighting. I have only kept nano tanks and this will be my first larger reef tank. The stores around me carry Red Sea, Eheim, UNS, Aqua Japan, and a few others, and I know of Innovative Marine. I am looking at keeping a mixed reef. The all in one options look the most appealing as they seem to take some of the option paralysis out of the equation piecing everything out. I'm trying to stay in the $2,000 and under range (not including lights, as I know that will be a costly expense). Open to hearing opinions, thanks!
 
If you wanted to save a ton of money you could by a 60-gallon breeder from PetSmart or Petco when they have their sale. Then pick up a 20-gallon long for a sump. It really is pretty easy to drill a tank, and for 60-80 bucks in the unlikely event something went wrong, it is not the end of the world.

I have one of my frag tanks set up like this, and it worked great.
 
If you wanted to save a ton of money you could by a 60-gallon breeder from PetSmart or Petco when they have their sale. Then pick up a 20-gallon long for a sump. It really is pretty easy to drill a tank, and for 60-80 bucks in the unlikely event something went wrong, it is not the end of the world.

I have one of my frag tanks set up like this, and it worked great.
I have thought of this, the only thing that worries me is how long the seams on one of these tanks will hold long term.
 
I am looking at purchasing a new 40-65 gal tank and looking for some suggestion on which brands to check out and what I should look for in the new tank including lighting. I have only kept nano tanks and this will be my first larger reef tank. The stores around me carry Red Sea, Eheim, UNS, Aqua Japan, and a few others, and I know of Innovative Marine. I am looking at keeping a mixed reef. The all in one options look the most appealing as they seem to take some of the option paralysis out of the equation piecing everything out. I'm trying to stay in the $2,000 and under range (not including lights, as I know that will be a costly expense). Open to hearing opinions, thanks!
Another vote for IM. They're on sale right now too.

https://www.innovative-marine.com/shop/EXT-Aquariums-c47404608
 
I have two IM tanks, and I can’t say enough good things. My most recent one is a “blemished” tank, but I have yet to find the blemish.
 
Innovative Marine, if you don't want to go custom. 😉
 
I have a IM SR80. Even though it is 80 gallons total volume tank, the display area holds around 65 gallons of water which is in the range you are looking for.

The tank clean and simple being an AIO, and the stand is very sturdy.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new