Looking for people who've kept a pair of Candy Basslets

kangadrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone who's kept a pair of these guys, I'd love to pick your brain on a few things.

What size tank did you house them in? Or to clarify a bit, what size would you go with to keep just a pair of these guys? I'm partial to cubes with similar dimensions on all sides, if not just cubes, at least 16". Everything I've seen recommends something pretty small to really get the full experience with what these fish can offer. Which leads me to my next question...

What's their personality like? I've heard two very polarized opinions, one being that they're extremely reclusive and you're never likely to see them, and the other that they're pretty bold and interactive. It seems like most of it comes down to them being kept in a smaller tank with quieter tankmates, have y'all found this to be the case?

Take care,
Drew

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are a shy, reclusive and somewhat skittish fish. Also a deep water species so maybe at first somewhat reduced lighting may benefit them. Give them a nice overhang because these basslets like to have hiding spots. Same with the shallow water Royal Gramma and Swissguard Basslet as well as the slightly deeper water Blackcap Basslet.

They don’t like overly aggressive tankmates, so if you plan to add more fish down the line be sure to introduce them earlier.

I don’t know how it works keeping them in pairs as they’re not a species that has clear sexual dimorphism, so I would encourage you to ask more experienced members. Beautiful fish though, much more expensive and unattainable for me due to the fact I live in Asia. Here I can only get Royal Grammas on a regular basis.

If you want to keep a pair I would not recommend a cube IMO. I would suggest at least a 60 Long gallon tank (75 gallons long even better) to keep a pair of these basslets, they are not the most active fish but still appreciate space especially if you want a pair.

OP
OP
K

kangadrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are a shy, reclusive and somewhat skittish fish. Also a deep water species so maybe at first somewhat reduced lighting may benefit them. Give them a nice overhang because these basslets like to have hiding spots. Same with the shallow water Royal Gramma and Swissguard Basslet as well as the slightly deeper water Blackcap Basslet.

They don’t like overly aggressive tankmates, so if you plan to add more fish down the line be sure to introduce them earlier.

I don’t know how it works keeping them in pairs as they’re not a species that has clear sexual dimorphism, so I would encourage you to ask more experienced members. Beautiful fish though, much more expensive and unattainable for me due to the fact I live in Asia. Here I can only get Royal Grammas on a regular basis.

If you want to keep a pair I would not recommend a cube IMO. I would suggest at least a 60 Long gallon tank (75 gallons long even better) to keep a pair of these basslets, they are not the most active fish but still appreciate space especially if you want a pair.
Hi Zionas, thanks for the reply. Hope you don't mind me asking, but have you kept them personally? I only ask because reports from second-hand knowledge and reports from people actually observing them daily seem to be very different, especially so with this species.

It seems like most of the people saying that they are secretive are keeping them in large displays with lots of active tankmates, as opposed to a smaller tank with just one or two basslets. For example, one person reported keeping them in a 500 gallon and never seeing them, but a poster on another forum had a single carmabi in a 17 gallon and within two days it was watching everything outside of the tank and coming out to hand feed.

As far as pairs, we have a company here (Live Aquaria, specifically the Diver's Den) that specializes in what-you-see-is-what-you-get fish that gets pairs of them in every so often. Pacific Island Aquatics also gets them in from time to time, and so do a few other companies. I would purchase my pair together, and not try to pair them myself in case I managed to get two different-sexed individuals.

What is your tank size based on? 75 gallons for a pair of basslets that reach 2" seems a bit excessive.

My apologies if I seem a bit disagreeable or anything in my response, I don't mean to. There is just a lot of conflicting information out there, and would prefer to hear from people who have kept a pair of these fish in a smaller aquarium.

Steelersfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept pairs multiple times. In the past, Diver’s Den would offer them as bonded pairs. I am assuming due to the price, they have only been offering singles lately. IMO, they are not difficult to pair up. If I was trying to pair up two of them, I would get two that were slightly different in size. You can start them in a quarantine tank. They don’t require a large tank.
Each fish is different, but in my case, they are definitely not shy or reclusive. They share my display tank with some large fish, and they are not timid. Although they like swimming in caves, they are out quite a bit. They are definitely one of my favorites.

Steelersfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a photo:
1591547246911.jpeg

OP
OP
K

kangadrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept pairs multiple times. In the past, Diver’s Den would offer them as bonded pairs. I am assuming due to the price, they have only been offering singles lately. IMO, they are not difficult to pair up. If I was trying to pair up two of them, I would get two that were slightly different in size. You can start them in a quarantine tank. They don’t require a large tank.
Each fish is different, but in my case, they are definitely not shy or reclusive. They share my display tank with some large fish, and they are not timid. Although they like swimming in caves, they are out quite a bit. They are definitely one of my favorites.
This is great, exactly what I was looking for; thank you!
Do you think a 24 by 20 by 20 would do well for a pair?

I've gotta ask - what's the stock list in your display? Pairs of carmabi, conspics, and joculators have my interests piqued lol.

Steelersfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is great, exactly what I was looking for; thank you!
Do you think a 24 by 20 by 20 would do well for a pair?

I've gotta ask - what's the stock list in your display? Pairs of carmabi, conspics, and joculators have my interests piqued lol.

I think that you will be fine with that size tank for a pair.

Livestock:: Black Tang, Bandit Angel, Captive Bred Yellow Anthias pair, Captive Bred Gramma Dejongi trio, Captive Bred Sunset Hogfish, L. Africanum, and Captive Bred Blue Phantom Pair :)

OP
OP
K

kangadrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Livestock:: Black Tang, Bandit Angel, Captive Bred Yellow Anthias pair, Captive Bred Gramma Dejongi trio, Captive Bred Sunset Hogfish, L. Africanum, and Captive Bred Blue Phantom Pair :)
That is an insane fish list, very nicely done. Appreciate the input on the carmabi :)

poomba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Where did you pick up the L. africanum?

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 55 73.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 9 12.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 9 12.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back