Looking for reef safe asterina stars

Bishop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have any large number of reef safe asterina stars I can have? I have a few in a 20L but they don't seem to multiply very fast. The few that I do have did only come from a single one though.

I live in springfield so the closer to the north side of nashville, the better. Thanx.

poolkeeper1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have any large number of reef safe asterina stars I can have? I have a few in a 20L but they don't seem to multiply very fast. The few that I do have did only come from a single one though.

I live in springfield so the closer to the north side of nashville, the better. Thanx.

I have been removing them by the hundreds on a daily basis for months, Why would you want them as they are pest when get out of control and will eat all your corraline algae on your rockwork.
I can give you some at the next meeting if you want them but advise against it as the ones i have multiply in the thousands and will take over your tank.
Bill

Reefer5060

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to agree with bill. The have been known to munch of some soft corals and there is little data to know which ones are reef safe and not. I wouldn't even take the chance on having them if I find one I remove it . One of my zoa colonies was acting Very unhappy and i looked Closer after a couple of days and found 3 of those guys on there. I dont know if it was them physically being on the polyps that upset them or them eating them so Unless your trying to feed a harlequin shrimp I would keep away from them.

OP
OP
B

Bishop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Part of me wants them cause I like them. The other part of me wants them to feed my mantis shrimp. If things ever went well, I might even pick of some Harlequins.

Might help to find some confirmation that a mantis will eat these though.

Last edited:

ReeferBean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Part of me wants them cause I like them. The other part of me wants them to feed my mantis shrimp. If things ever went well, I might even pick of some Harlequins.

Might help to find some confirmation that a mantis will eat these though.

Yeah +1 I hate mine... didn't want to risk getting stuck between a magnet and scratch my glass. I let my tank go over the summer and their numbers multiplied like mad!

I am using a harlequin shrimp right now for this very purpose. I had maybe 1000, looks like he is 2/3 done in less than 3 weeks. He's a cool little shrimp but I'll give him up when he's done.

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't add them to a tank. I have been fighting them for a while. At one point I was pulling them out 100 at a time. I finally got a harlequin and got them under control. Going to have to give the harlequin away soon. I lost a good $200 in polyps to them.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 30.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%

Back